Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart broadband exchange update

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Finally, Galway is Live!!!!

Whats the fastest way to change over from Eircom. (with new number).

Garfield? Should I just apply online or can you speed things up. I applied ages ago and gave bank details. Will this speed things up. Will I experience any down time during the change over?

Sean.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

jimmeh wrote:
    oh look, mondays come, about to go, lets me guess, two more weeks for letterkenny exchange...
    Well, it's failing the online checker.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Finally, Galway is Live!!!!

Whats the fastest way to change over from Eircom. (with new number).

Garfield? Should I just apply online or can you speed things up. I applied ages ago and gave bank details. Will this speed things up. Will I experience any down time during the change over?

Sean.

You will have to give Eircom a months notice of your intention to terminate your broadband contract. You will have to get a cessation number from them (afaik - you certainly have to get a cessation number from other isps like esat or utv so presumably you require one from Eircom) Smart cannot process your order without the cessation number and your eircom account number (more correctly Eircom will not process the unbundling without that information coming from Smart) - expect some down time. :rolleyes:

Spot on dub45, Just off the phone with Smart. Eircom have to stop the broadband before Smart can even touch the line. The lady said to expect downtime of around 21 working days. Nasty.

I might wait till the new year, I dont think I can afford to have that much down time in the house over Xmas.

oilfoster or Garfield, Any way of speeding this up at all. Im on the shantalla Exchange.

Just Off the phone with Eircom, While I was on the phone they Ceased the broadband there and then. and gave me the number too. That was wierd. I asked for something from Eircom and it happen straight away.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joplin

They aren't suppose to cut you off straight away, they do it on purpose to p**s you off as you are leaving them. It happened to me and I was not happy as I had planned to have the downtime while on holiday. You as a customer should have the right to chose the disconnection date yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

jimmeh wrote:
    oh look, mondays come, about to go, lets me guess, two more weeks for letterkenny exchange...

I understood "Monday Next" as being Monday a week away otherwise it would have been written "this monday"

Just Off the phone with Eircom, While I was on the phone they Ceased the broadband there and then. and gave me the number too. That was wierd. I asked for something from Eircom and it happen straight away.

S.

Well get it off to Smart straight away then and your downtime should be minimised. Better still ring Smart and give them the cease number and the Eircom account number and they should be able to process things pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

joplin wrote:
    They aren't suppose to cut you off straight away, they do it on purpose to p**s you off as you are leaving them. It happened to me and I was not happy as I had planned to have the downtime while on holiday. You as a customer should have the right to chose the disconnection date yourself!
    As an eircon customer you have no rights, you should be glad of their benevolent dictatorship.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As an eircon customer you have no rights, you should be glad of their benevolent dictatorship.

You also should be glad that you can hear somekind of sounds over the phoneline they supply, doesn't matter if you can't make them out...you still have to pay eircom €24.18 for line rental.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 oilfoster

Letterkenny is now live, aploogies for the confusion
    Ciarán

1MB down/256kb up? I cant actually connect to the internet (settings/username must be different?) I rebooted the router a few times and its still connecting @ this speed? Who the hell gives that connection speed and who is providing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

oilfoster - any word on when in 2006 kilkenny city exchange will be done?

1MB down/256kb up? I cant actually connect to the internet (settings/username must be different?) I rebooted the router a few times and its still connecting @ this speed? Who the hell gives that connection speed and who is providing it?

Right got home yesterday and my DSL is completely gone now..... Bring on Smart!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Is Whitehall live yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Corleone

Whitehall was supposed to go live last Fri Nov 25th, anyone got anymore information on this?

What's the procedure once the area goes live? I remember something about having to wait 10 days for a router to be send out?

Also, can anyone recommend a router to buy for my soon to be installed broadband :rolleyes: ?!! I've heard that the router Smart supply isn't the best for large downloading users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 oilfoster

Whitehall live date has slipped and will be live by next Monday.
    Next exchanges:
    Galway HPO: Monday 5th December
    Cork Central: Tuesday 6th December.

Ciarán

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

Any update on the Tallaght exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

oilfoster/Ciarán
    Any change on the Nutley exchange? When is it likely to go live? Early/Mid/Late 2006 (it was originally planned for August 2005)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Why the Cork Central is delayed,why??
    Is it 100% this time the 6th December?

If it won't go live Tuesday I have to go with BT...

• Advertisement

Is it possible to use an exsisting broadband router with smart? (ADSL2 etc) I have a D-Link 604T. Will I need to update the firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Any update on the Ballyboden exchange yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

oilfoster wrote:
    Letterkenny is now live, aploogies for the confusion
    Ciarán

Anyone got it in Letterkenny yet? How's the service? Tried speed test on irishisptest.com? Anyone switch from another broadband provider? How did it go / how long did it take?

Is it possible to use an exsisting broadband router with smart? (ADSL2 etc) I have a D-Link 604T. Will I need to update the firmware?

You will more than likely need to update the firmware - its no big deal - anyone with an older router should check the manufacturer`s website.

Although oddly enough some older versions of linksys wag54g seem to work ok without any update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Does anyone know, if you don't have a phoneline, will Smart install one, so I don't have to go to Eircon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

No, you must get a line from Eircom first.

Three years after I get rid of eircom, they're still the bane of my life.

I thought if an exchange was unbundled that meant someone else could install the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

No. It means that someone else can rent the line from eircom and plug it into their own infrastructure in the exchange.

Eircom still own the physical copper that runs from the exchange to your home.

Why are Magnet able to install lines then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

They only install a line if they are doing FTTH otherwise they get a eircom guy to install a line and then unbundle it.

Advertisement