Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeplug electrical networks

Options
  • 01-11-2005 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I'm looking at Homeplug as an alternative to wireless. I’m thinking it would be more secure, but wondering how much more secure… Anyone know where the network begins/ends once I plug it in. i.e. at the meter? Or if wanted to share the network with a nearby apartment – would this be possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

As far as I know all traffic on a homeplug network is encrypted. So it should be secure even if you share it with all your neighbours.

That said it depends on where you live and how exactly your building has been cabled as to where exactly your network would begin and end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I remember looking (very briefly) into this before. Ex: Packard Bell's offering "net2plug". spec:
    http://www.packardbell.co.uk/products/node1632.asp

Range is 200m,
    built-in encryption (Hardly unbreakable..),
    slower than 802.11g.

I'd be curious to know how you get on if you do go down that road..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

god no dont get that I had it before. net2plug are so damned slow and lag so bad for internet sharing I have mine dumped away in a corner using wireless network now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Jakkass wrote:
    god no dont get that I had it before. net2plug are so damned slow and lag so bad for internet sharing I have mine dumped away in a corner using wireless network now.

was it slower than 802.11b? how far did you have it running? (curious)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 bridigo

Looked into it - seems they work per electrical circut, so the network will not run past the ESB meter. Also it may not cover a large house that could use two phases of electricty - network will only work over the phase that it is plugged into. May try it out for my appartment though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

it will be the biggest mistake you ever make if you do lol
    I had it running from upstairs to downstairs in my house

Advertisement