Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finglas Metro or Ballymun IBB

• 01-11-2005 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey there i'm looking for a little advise on which bb to get, ive read through these forums a fair bit so ill try to keep it simple. Basically i've recently moved into a block of student apartments (next to DCU) and the "broadband" service they promised, supplied by IBB, is absolutely rubbish. I think they have a 1MB connection for the entire block or something.. so you can imagine. Anywho i've been reading alot about this digiweb Metro service recently and it seems like a sound choice. I called them today and the rep said the service was available on Shanowen Ave. (my road) and I'm also on the fourth floor of a building with a birdseye view over across towards finglas (where the mast is apparently)...so basically i think theres a good chance of getting a signal. I was wondering if anyone else around my area has signed up with them and whether your distance from the mast affects the speed much? The thing is the Ballymun IBB Mast is in full view outside the window and although i know the service from here sucked at one stage just wondering if it has improved and would it be a better idea to go with that? ...simple eh? ;) ..cheers though if anyone can help out :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Can you get an aerial fitted to the exterior of the apartment block? Unlikely I'd say. If not, forget Metro and IBB. I think Digiweb is doing a trial with an interior aerial so this might change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 divinebright

hey blaster, cheers for the response. your thoughts had crossed my mind but i wasnt exactly sure what it is metro have to physically install. Does the exterior box seen on the website have to be outside and on the roof!? I dont know if im allowed roof access yet but i mean as I said im on the top (4th) floor of the block so do you think it would be viable to install it outside the window or something?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

You'd still need permission to install it on the wall (holes drilled or whatever). Talk to your landlord and talk to Digiweb.

Some people are fine on IBB in that area but others are in utter hell. The general consensus is to stay as far away from IBB as possible at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Anything but IBB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

steer clear from IBB, digiweb all the way, you will need to sign a sheet to say you got landlords consent to put an antenna on the building, so as they wont fall liable for anything that may arise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement