Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shy Guy... and me too

• 01-11-2005 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello :)

I met this guy a couple of weeks ago at school; just eye contact and a smile. I had no idea if I would ever see him again (it's a community college campus, but still... it's pretty big...)

So yeah, I kept thinking about him and decided to write a letter to him (Hi, how are you, thought about you a lot since we "met", hope we can get to know each other). I also included my e-mail address and phone number. This is totally out of character for me; but the two of us started talking and he's really nice, so I gave him the letter.

He's e-mailed me once (he said he doesn't check his e-mail too often) but he's never called me. We talk occasionally when we see each other on campus. Sometimes, I think because we're both shy, we both don't know what to do to approach the other person, so we let the opportunity to talk to each other slide. Like yesterday, I *know* he saw me and he was smiling, but we didn't wave or anything...

I don't know... it's kind of confusing... if only I could get past that *fear*... any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

advice on what?

the advice everyone is going to give is " just go up and talk to him". I dont see what other advice there is or what other advice you want.

surely you could of figured that one out yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 combat_sombo

what? you met some dude in college then emailed him a hello?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

he was laughing at you, not smiling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Harsh.
    Try e-mailing him to organise to meet up. Go to the cinema or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I hope you get banned for that.

OP - just keep going the way you're going. Talk to him whenever you get the chance and eventually something will come out of it. Whether that be a new boyfriend or just a new friend, you've nothing to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

:rolleyes:

Helpful advice please projectmayhem or expect to not be able to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd say you should ask him to go out somewhere with you. Maybe to town, or bowling, or something fun where you can have a laugh and let conversation flow naturally enough.

I'm with my current girlfriend a year now, but I was always very shy, so she'd always talk to me and I'd kinda not know what to say, or I'd talk sh*te. I was basically just nervous as hell!

Anyway, I asked her to come into town and we walked around for a few hours... I didn't magically spring into conversation because we were in town, but as we started going out more and more, we started talking more and more and it became quite natural, and we ended up going out.

If you don't go up and talk to him, he mightn't go up and talk to you, so one of you has to take the initiative and start planning things. I know my nerves/shyness made me lose out on 2 girls before my current girlfriend, one of which I talked to all the time on the internet, etc., but couldn't put a sentence together with in real life. Kinda embaressing... Anyways, someone said to continue as you're doing, but I don't think that's a good idea; text-based relationships are often difficult to transfer to real-life, so just work up the guts to grab him by the hand (not literally) and take him somewhere.

Hope this helped!

Dave

EDIT:

Also, if he's a little dry on converation, you just keep bringing up topics. He'll eventually get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the advice, everyone!! Very much appreciated.

*big hugs*

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

What age are you?
    So yeah, I kept thinking about him and decided to write a letter to him (Hi, how are you, thought about you a lot since we "met", hope we can get to know each other). I also included my e-mail address and phone number.

How sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I know exactly what you mean.. There's a very good friend of mine who I'm in absolute love with (I'm in a chat with her in msn right now talking about getting together) and it took ages to build up the courage to ask her, but it eventually slipped out in a text meant for her friends, accidently sent to her. The only way to do it is be brave. I'm very shy, she can be too, but it's something you've just gotta go for. It's easier for you, if it doesn't happen, fine, but for me if it doesn't, we're really good friends, so it could get akward.

DaveMcG's post is pretty similar to how I feel, and have missed out on oppertunities before..

Seriously, just go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

embraer170 wrote:
    What age are you?

i'm 19. he's a year younger than i am, so maybe that attributes to some of his shyness too.

thanks for all the comments ;)

Advertisement