Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Adobe just won't convert this document... SOLVED!

• 01-11-2005 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Its a perfectly fine MS Word document, and I have converted to pdf with Acrobat before.

Problem is this time, it halted about half way through, and produced a Notepad .txt instead, indicating an error that Adobe did not know the Frankin DemiGothic font.

So, in I go to the Word doc, and change the Frankin headings to Arial and Tahoma etc etc.

Now, it just fails again, Windows Error Reporting pops-up, and thats it - no indication of what the error is this time.

I can't bring the .doc into StarOffice, as it jumbles the document all around the place, so I can't create a pdf with that.

Any suggestions? Does Adobe need updatnig of its own fonts folder or anything, like hat you can do to Windows' own font folder??

I have already removed all Adobe stuff, restarted, and re-installed. Its Version 6.

Seanie.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check adobe settings for including/embedding the font
    try printing as graphic ( ok it's in acrobat reader - but look for a similar setting to switch to/from vector raster etc )

use pdfcreator / pdf995 / pdf that comes with dialux - some docs work better with some engine better than others, you could also try OpenOffice unless already on the latest StarOffice or in word save as to a previous version and try reopening it or if you aren't using tables and fancy stuff save as rich text format.

which version of word ?
    - the next one is supposed to have a pdf writer in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

By default, the settings for embedding fonts is already ticked. I had a look through the settings, and for the life of me I can't figure out why, on this occasion, it doesn't want to convert... :mad:

Anyone willing to help me out to convert it at their end via a yousendit?? Its c. 17MB in size as a Word doc...

Seanie.

I found out what was caused the problem! I decided to convert each page nidividually, and find the one(s) causing the problem. It turns out that a font I sed (called "He's Dead Jim" - its like old Star Trek text) was the problem, on one page (20 of 24).

I just downloaded a different old Star Trek-looking font, and its fine now. No probem with Franklin either (trange error that one, now that it works).

Happy Days!

Seanie.

Advertisement