Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stan for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

OMG!!
    Paddy Power have him 4-1 favs!!
    WTF?!?!
    Surely there's no truth to this???
    He's far too quiet and lacks and decend experience for the role.
    I'd give it to McCarthy quicker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

this would be a big mistake imo,i feel you do need experience,for example,brian kerr.ireland need someone with a great cv,the fai should not rush into anything at the moment,though this is just speculation ie[the mirror]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

*shakes head*

If he gets the job i dont know what to say...i'd be speechless...i thought the moral of the story so far was that we've raised the bar, we should expect to be competetive in our group...this all means getting a manager with experience and pedagree like burley... not a manager with no top flight experience worth mention like the last 5/6/7 irish managers...

Come on FAI, for the first time i've put my faith in you for fireing kerr!! please dont let us down!!! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The FAI should wait a few weeks, maybe even months before appointing anyone.
    We don't have another competitive match untill the end of september next year, why rush it?

That said Stauntons is far from quite, but I would doubt his ability purely on his lack of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

No, for the love of god no. Think of the children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

The FAI get worse, I pity Ireland with this appointment its absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Todays Star says Camacho I think... Although I didn't get to read the article.

(And it is only The Star)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

besty wrote:
    No, for the love of god no. Think of the children
    Agreed:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Stan is an absolute legend and a top class player and maybe in ten years time if he gets some decent management experience with a good club then he can be considered but to consider him now is just madness.

Ireland need a manager with experience as we are going through a period where we need to bring through some of the younger players so a manager with experience of doing this is needed. Stan is not the man and if the FAI appoint him it is just ridiculous. I hope to god this is just a rumour and it turns out to be totally false

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Here ye think thats bad, if Stan is appointed they are saying Ray Houghton is gonna be his side kick.
    Disaster, well maybe not.
    Maybe if he took the assistant coach I wouldnt have to put up with his inept analysis on the tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If thats the case they may aswell just apoint Roy instead. I' love Roy to be manager, just not now, it's too early. The same would apply to Staunton (only without the me loving him to be manager part :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

My God, wtf are they trying to do to us???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Don't think they should appoint stan manager. Wouldnt suprise me if they did tho, he is the type of manager that you would expect the FAI to appoint, going on the previous managers. As was said before expierenece and technical ability is needed, who knows stan may have it but the same could be said for any joe off the street. If stan is appointed it shows how backward and utterly stupid the FAI are. Its a complete gamble and one that is even less secure then when they appointed Kerr. At least Kerr had managed a team. Can't see him being manager, maybe they are trying install a solid Irish coaching base to allow them bring in a foreign manager without having lots of foreign coaches? Who knows...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why not appoint him on a 1-year contract? If he ****'s up, no sweat, if he turns out to be a decent manager, sign him up.

Is he not still playing anyway. If thata the route were going, I want Gareth Farrelly :)

Why not appoint him on a 1-year contract? If he ****'s up, no sweat, if he turns out to be a decent manager, sign him up.

Becuse over the next year we'll be playing friendlies so that'll be no judge. It might include the first couple of euro qualifiers but a start to the group like the one McCarthy left on is hardly what a new manager would like to take over. Plus an international job is hardly one we should be using to as a testign ground for the premiership clubs, it should eb a step upp from managing one of them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's only dream-talk though. The FAI can never in a million years compete with the larger European leagues for managers, the only options htey have are has-beens and first-division strugglers. As someone mentioned earlier, Holland (a team with a lot more pull in international terms) took a gamble on an untested van Basten and he's been excellent so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

my friend has inside information saying that john aldreidge practically has the job already.he put 100 euro on him at 10/1

my friend has inside information saying that john aldreidge practically has the job already.he put 100 euro on him at 10/1

If I had inside information I'd be putting a lot more than that on it at 10/1!

obviously it is not for certain because nothing to do with gambling is a cert and 100 euro is a hell of alot of money to put on a 10/1 shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I think Aldridge is the man for the job.

obviously it is not for certain because nothing to do with gambling is a cert and 100 euro is a hell of alot of money to put on a 10/1 shot

Not if you have inside information that he has the job. Stockbrokers dont getr inside info then buy 50 shares (nb, insider tradeign does not exist :) )

Any idea where your friends "inside information" comes from?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Any idea where your friends "inside information" comes from?

inside his head probably. :D

Stekelly wrote:
    inside his head probably. :D

Was thinking along those lines myself...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I would personally prefer Aldridge to Staunton because at least Aldo has some management experience. Notice the way nothing further has been said about the Stan link. Definitely just a rumour imho

sorry about that lads i was down the bookies putting on a few bets for tonight.

my friends dad supposidly knows someone and my mate does not gamble and 100 euro is a **** load of money for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It seems the story in the Mirror is a load of rubbish as he hasn't heard anything:
    Walsall manager Paul Merson highlighted that fact, and has made it clear he will not stand in Staunton’s way should the FAI make an approach.

“He is respected in Ireland, and I think the fans would want it,” said Merson on Sky Sports News.

“He would be a good choice by the FIA, but he hasn’t heard anything, and that’s the thing. Although we talk about it every morning because it’s in the papers.

“To be fair, I’d be one of the first to know if there was anything because it would be up to me to let him go.

“But I’d back him. Everybody who plays football would love to manage their country one day, so if it came along, then of course I’d let him go. No worries about that.”

The FAI are maintaining a deadpan line, confirming nothing more than their “process is ongoing” according to a spokesman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

my friends dad supposidly knows someone
    That's concrete enough for me.
    Time to withdraw me life savings me thinks...

I still think the FAI will hold out and see if Hiddink becomes availble... if not, it probably would be Aldo.
    Worth a flutter I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

painful if Stan get its :(

as for Paul Mersons comments since when are the Irish soccer team governed by the FIA? :)

“He would be a good choice by the FIA, but he hasn’t heard anything, and that’s the thing. Although we talk about it every morning because it’s in the papers.

evs favourate now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

evs favourate now.

Stan the man surely a bit of a gamble on the part of the fai if they do go for him

mchurl wrote:
    Stan the man surely a bit of a gamble on the part of the fai if they do go for him

no aldreige is evens favourate

Advertisement