Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensible Soccer returns

Options
  • 01-11-2005 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.codemasters.co.uk/press/?showarticle=7532&territory=EnglishUK
    The all-new Sensible Soccer will launch Q2 2006 and come complete with lightning fast football action, mesmerising dribbling, physics defying sliding tackles and, most famously, a huge amount of unbelievable goals, that can go curling into the top corner, thanks to the outrageous levels of after-touch.

Renowned as the greatest multiplayer kick-about ever, Sensible Soccer will return with a modern take on its trademark zoomed out camera and truly intuitive control system, which delivers total 360-degree control over your players’ kicks and movement. Visually, the game will have a distinctive new graphical style, which includes cel-shaded players with the classic enlarged heads, designed to appeal both to fans of the series and appeal to a new generation of gamers.

The trademark top-down view allows you to see the build up play better than you can in any current football game. This gives the player a huge degree of tactical awareness and control that has never been bettered.

It worked on Nokias but how about a pc with 2x7800gtxs?

Cant see it doing anythign to Fifa and Pes but be nice for a tenner or somfin.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Yes baby...

To be honest Sensi Soc as we called it was a class game, the super league giving you teh satisfaction of a close call rather than the fifa style romp home by 30points and 6000 goals for...

I think the older footie generation will go for this, its one of my best memories growing up as a kid in the video game arena but i think the controls and difficulty (the one thing that appealed to all of us) will not cut any slack with todays kids who like to run while preforming 15 turns and twists before shooting. To us who broke up an attack on our own box, passed the ball through midfield and into your striker who lays it off the chap at the top of your diamon to bend and outward swinger just inside the post will be pure magic all over again...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sensi Soccer was class... but does anyone remember "Goal!".
    Made by Dino Dini (also did the "Kick Off" series - by ANCO).
    It was the first soccer game I got on the PC... was addicted to it!!
    I remember stumbing across a few pages on it a while back where Dino had set up an online tourny himself with a free version of the game.
    Well worth checking out if you can find it online :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Kick off was released about 3 years ago for a tenner, about as much as i would pay to play Sensible Soccer again (altho havent really stopped with emus and such)

kdjac

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

striker on the snes anyone??

KdjaC wrote:
    Kick off was released about 3 years ago for a tenner, about as much as i would pay to play Sensible Soccer again (altho havent really stopped with emus and such)

kdjac
    Goal! was essential Kick Off 3, but much better and a mix of Kick Off and Sensi Soccer.
    I remember seeing it get full marks on a Gamesmaster review and I spent all my birthday money on it!

While on retro soccer games, anyone remember Match Day 2?
    Probably the best footie game of its time.
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/match-day-ii/screenshots
    Some screens there... I played it on a spectrum, so the screens are like those at the bottom.
    Some of the younger players out there might get a shock at it... but those of us who grew up with such games really appreciate playing games like PES more. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The Ref Needs Glasses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

striker on the snes anyone??

Adidas Power Soccer on the PSOne anyone?

Ah yes, I remember striker, goal and kick off, had them all on the atari st along with sensi soc. Great games. Microsprose soccer on the C64 was quite good as well altough it didn't have a patch on the play ability of the Sensi Soc...

Also who remember the first soccer game on the Snes, Super Soccer.... pure pants.

iregk wrote:
    Also who remember the first soccer game on the Snes, Super Soccer.... pure pants.
    Nice one.
    Still have the first FIFA on the SNES.
    Gave it a go a few months ago for a laugh. Cant believe I played it for months on end.
    Then I got "International Super Star Soccer Delux!".
    How my life changed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sensi was classic ... it wasn't "football" in the way something pro evolution is these days, but the giddy thrill of connecting passes up the field and then a belt of Brazillian style after touch into the top corner .. brilliant ... smile on my face just thinking about it ... I have never played a football game since that was as exciting and pure fun as Sensible Soccer

But.... to be honest I doubt this game will have much luck capturing the classic feel of the game ... i'm sticking to my Amiga emulator (along with Speedball 2 :D ... "Ice Cream!")

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote:
    i'm sticking to my Amiga emulator (along with Speedball 2 :D ... "Ice Cream!")
    linky please!
    man, I loved speedball.
    I found it in a 2nd hand bin somewhere for the PS1... it's just not the same though.

EDIT - no need - just found a MEgadrive emulator and am playing it on that!!
    PES5 is going out of action for a while :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Striker '96 on the PSOne. Best version of the Striker series by a long shot. Interminably long loading times (it was like a C64 tape loading), naff graphics and incredibly bad commentary ("Oooaf, shocking tackle!") but it played like a dream.

My main concern with the new Sensi is the graphics look rather tatty. The old game had tiny sprites but the little bug eyed fellas were really charming. The old graphics had charisma, the new ones look rather dull and wooden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Name the 3 Manchester star players :D

And spell them correctly ;)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

iregk wrote:
    Ah yes, I remember striker, goal and kick off, had them all on the atari st along with sensi soc. Great games. Microsprose soccer on the C64 was quite good as well altough it didn't have a patch on the play ability of the Sensi Soc...

Microprose soccer! the five aside indoor league class .....
    playing oman in the world cup, and to score a goal you had to run in from the corner, or run up the right stripe on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Actually I think that looks pretty good.

Sensible Soccer was the only football game I ever enjoyed. We used to have huge leagues around that the house. About 15 people all crouched around the living room... great stuff...

I've never much liked the side on view for football games, but the angle that this is at is interesting looking.

Didn't they try to do a full 3D version of Sensi before? I don't remember it looking very good though.

Oh.. any one remember I-Play 3D Soccer on the C64? It was horrible... it was a football game with a 1st Person Perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

There was a 3D Sensible Soccer on the PSOne in 1998. But it was awful because none of the people who made the original Sensi games were involved.

Namco did a game called Libero Grande (plus a sequel) on the PSOne that tried doing first person football. There's a first person football mod for Half Life 1 (and on Source soon as well) that's quite popular. I couldn't really work out how to play it properly.

KdjaC wrote:
    Name the 3 Manchester star players :D
    And spell them correctly ;)
    kdjac

Was Norman Whiteside one of them? I'll go Clayton Blackmore & Bryan Robson as well...

Thats a guess, I always picked Real Madrid, Michael Laudrup was pure legend, the fastest man on the pitch...

Advertisement