Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partitioning a 40GB hard drive

• 22-09-2001 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

What size should I make the partitions? Basic question, basic answer, please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Kinda depends what you're putting on it, but I'd say one small partition for the OS, about a gig, and then one monster one for all your stuff. My reason for that is the first partition, or drive c, is more likely to be damaged than the second. And it gives windows a limit to the amount of disk space it can needlessly eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

How many operating systems do you intend to have? Will you require swap disks?

Do you use Photoshop or other such apps on a serious basis. If so you'll need scratch disk(s).

If you're just going with Windows, I'd recommend a partition of several gigs for the OS and any applications you're going to install. I've found that this works better in the long run than putting the OS and installed apps on seperate partitions.

The rest is really up to you. My choice would be having various partitions for storing downloaded programs, MP3s, personal files, etc.

Also, if you really don't know what to do with all the space, leave some unpartitioned for the time being. You can come back and do it when you need to...

HTH,
    -Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I tried that myself Beaver, with a 17Gb drive... ended up regretting it because I had to install a 2 gig game onto my drive; and with all my partitions I had about 6gigs free, but not enough on the one ;)

Fand, tell us what you need it for, then we can give you some ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

G'point. I don't really play games any more, but I used to have a seperate partition entirely for them alright...

-Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ever tried using folders to seperate stuff out ?

2 partitions is the most you will ever need, you do not gain performance by using more (lose it actually, heads going from OS sector to app sector to swap file sector).

I use 1 partition generally, and get a good backup solution, much safer in the long run (if the hard drive fails you'll lose the info anyway.

2 partitions can be handy if u want to reformat, but then again, a back up solution does the same...

10x CD-RW are good for it, zip drives, a second hard drive just for back ups, all are safe solutions and none too expensive, and will save money in the event of a failure.

Right now:

C: 80 gig partition

D: 40 gig partion

D: is the back up drive, storing all documents + application data, patches etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement