Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid wood floor over thin carpet

Options
  • 01-11-2005 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Has anyone laid a wooden floor ontop of carpet instead of using underlay?
    The carpet is very thin so there is little or no movment when u step on it.

Is this a good idea?

Cheers
    Wavey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

bump.

Anybody got any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well thats a new one for me to read anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Wavey,

Yes, I have laid a laminate on top of a carpet, it was meant as a temporary clean up in a bedroom, it has taken a lot of abuse and is still in good order.

TBH I think I got lucky the lminate was a good quality and bought in a sale for £11.00 per sq yard, so it's pre Euro and still good.

Any of the more expensive solid timber floors were fitted within the rules because they are supposed to be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

We laid solid wood flooring last July and the installer was of the opinion it was just as handy to leave down the carpet.
    Again it was one of those cheap thin carpets.
    So far no problems yet.
    I have asked around and while most people hadn't heard about it no one could come up with any major negatives. Assuming the carpet is clean it should be okay.
    Basically it is just thicker underlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanks for the replies lads.

Yeah i cant think of any reason why you cant put it down over a thin carpet.

Its going to be a solid wooden floor.

Will ask the supplier though to make sure.

Cheers
    Wavey

• Advertisement
Advertisement