Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J'accuse la banque d'.....

Options
  • 01-11-2005 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

"Sir, we have a great holiday deal for you...." <20 mins later> "... so you won't actually debit my credit card until I receive your information pack and choose a date?" "Absolutely not sir!"

Hands up anyone who is surprised they did anyway?

As an absolute moron I still have not managed to figure out why a certain bank's credit card division would defend this company when I phoned them to complain.

1) The primary call handlers were of the opinion that this was irreversable with the bank; only cancellation by the supplier was the solution.

2) The hard-ass approach (I WILL NOT PAY!) leading to secondary handlers was similar. I managed to get an email address so I can detail my complaint.

On mentioning the dodgy company to both; they said the company was reputable.

On a google search they clearly are not!

Simply google www.sunshinetravelescapes.com.

As a complete moron I can only assume the staff at the bank are either morons like me; or are directed to sing praises of any dodgy operator:

1) to hopefully complete the transaction.

2) to avoid the hassle of disputed transaction charges

This makes business sense but I suspect also:

3) to accrue interest on disputed transactions until they are finally killed

Given my dealings so far I suspect all 3. I suspect they are covered by banking law which makes all this quite okay really.

I would like to hear what people think on this...

Elivs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Get onto the Fraud section of the CC company. I found the Fraud team in BOI/Amex very helpful & supportive recently.

And (as I'm sure you know), don't give your credit card details to shysters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

RainyDay wrote:
    Get onto the Fraud section of the CC company. I found the Fraud team in BOI/Amex very helpful & supportive recently.

And (as I'm sure you know), don't give your credit card details to shysters.
    I fouind they ranged from unsupportive to supportive - the unsupportive have led me to believe I need to change banks. I WILL. One disputed transaction for less than a grand will ulitmately cost the bank a minimum of EUR150K!

I personally am of the opinion that this banks credit card division have absolutely no idea how their impressive profits are ultimately at the expense of the group,

As a retail customer of 19 years with the bank - I reckon the bank have made from me a lot more than this disputed transaction. I reckon the credit card division have made 50-70% of this amount.

The impression I got from them was that they didn't know or care; they didn't know I had a mortgage with the bank; they wanted to apply the letter of the law in order to maximise perceived profit.

They have lost: my credit cards accounts (them), my mortgage, my current account, my loan account and the charges that wouod be applied.

This is just retail banking and all these losses will ultimately equate to nothing. (For many purposes - the figure of account leavers and account aquirers will never be an exact constant - would never be brought up at the AGM (until now perhaps?)

It is as simple as this - there are laws; These don't have to be adhered to:

When a bank has no evident policy/has a policy of dealing with rogue traders and favouring them financially with respect to the consumer - a change in interntional law is needed!

I am fairly sure 150k would normally juice this; the bottom line- they have no knowledge of my bank

Advertisement