Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus - 1.8turbo diesel info wanted

Options
  • 02-11-2005 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Anyone have one of these? Its really the focus van im looking at. Are all the focus vans 1.8turbos? What bhp is this engine. 90 or 110 i`d imagine, but not just sure.

Are the 1.8 diesel focus cars turbos too, or is the car form just a straight 1.8L.

In general, are these engines very reliable, or hat are the common issues/problems associated with the van. Appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The original Focus diesel was the old 1.8 TDDi with 100bhp and was not very refined and a bit loud. It's originates from the Sierra and Mondeo I think. In 2002 Ford introduced a new more powerful version called the TDCi which had 115bhp, this was a common rail unit and it was way more refined, very nippy and more economical than the old unit. It was sold along side the old 100bhp unit but unfortunately I think it was only available in Ghia trim down here so it was fairly rare and expensive. The 115bhp TDCi unit was the only diesel engine available in the original Focus van from 2002.

Generally this engine was very reliable and a good performer.

The new MkII Focus (including van) uses the PSA 1.6 HDi diesel engine which has 110bhp but is still called TDCi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

bazz26 wrote:
    The original Focus diesel was the old 1.8 TDDi with 100bhp
    [COUGH] 88bhp [/COUGH]
    bazz26 wrote:
    and was not very refined and a bit loud. It's originates from the Sierra and Mondeo I think. In 2002 Ford introduced a new more powerful version called the TDCi which had
    [COUGH] either 100 or [/COUGH]
    bazz26 wrote:
    115bhp, this was a common rail unit and it was way more refined, very nippy and more economical than the old unit. It was sold along side the old 100bhp unit but unfortunately I think it was only available in Ghia trim down here so it was fairly rare and expensive. The 115bhp TDCi unit was the only diesel engine available in the original Focus van from 2002.

Generally this engine was very reliable and a good performer.

The new MkII Focus (including van) uses the PSA 1.6 HDi diesel engine which has 110bhp but is still called TDCi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Mondeo TD Mk1 had 88bhp, the Mk2 had 90bhp (although many say the Mk1 is just not quite as slow as the MK2!)

Speaking as a Mondeo Mk1 owner, I'd say the engine isnt as bad as some people say, but it is definately outclassed in every respect by pretty much every engine. But having said that it pulls the Mondeo along at a reasonable pace.

I have about 160k mls up, only things done to the car are 1) Radiator at 20k 2) Battery at 100k, 3) Fuel Pump started leaking @ 140k, didnt cost much, 4) Solenoid that cuts fuel went recently, as did the accelerator cable, both came to about €50.

Other than those few things, nothing has been touched in the engine or the car.

Advertisement