Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda MX-5 as first car

Options
  • 02-11-2005 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

I know of a '91 Mazda MX-5 cabriolet for sale. The chap is looking for €2000 euros for it. Looks in good nick from what I can see....yet to give it the once over.

Really what I'm looking at is would this car suit a first time driver?
    I believe it's a 1.6 too so that would sting insurance wise I guess.
    This would be for my bro...23, provisional living in Dublin.
    Oh, the car been off the road about a year now.

The bro was even thinking about buying it and selling on for profit as these cars seem to be advertised for alot more then two grand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great little car and a steal @€;2k. Have it checked out properly by a mechanic, make sure to thoroughly check the hood.
    The_Edge wrote:
    The bro was even thinking about buying it and selling on for profit

Your brother sure won't have much depreciation on it, provided he can keep it in good running order

As for it being suitable as a learners car: not really. Your brother should get his driving license first and then get some experience before driving the rear wheel driven MX-5

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Cheers unkel. I'll pass that onto him tomorrow.
    I'm nearly tempted myself now :)

Just as a side note, this quote was got from bestqoute.ie not 2 mins ago for the brother on the said MX-5:
    Dear ***,

Thank you for visiting our website.
    We are delighted to provide you with our Bestquote.

Premium : 9692.96 Euros
    Quote Reference : *********

If any additional covers are required, please contact us at :

Telephone : 062-61991
    Email : campionins@bestquote.ie

Third party only.........
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LOL @€;10k quote :eek:

Just checked it myself and they wanted to take €700 off me fully comp for the MX-5. I don't think so to bestquote.ie. I would have expected something in the €300-€400 region. Mind I have a very long NCB history and I've had my full license for about half my life - yes I'm getting old :)

That said, most people, especially men, are better off driving some sh!te but reliable jap tiny box for a few years while gaining experience, notching up no-claims years and saving up big-time to drive a nicer car in the near future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Dear ***,

Thank you for visiting our website.
    We are delighted to provide you with our Bestquote.

Premium : 9692.96 Euros
    Quote Reference : *********

If any additional covers are required, please contact us at :

Telephone : 062-61991
    Email : campionins@bestquote.ie

Oh dear God, I think that is the most ridiculous quote I have heard. A 12 month loan for that policy would cost about E900 per month :eek:

I would definitely have to agree with Unkel - a rear wheel drive is not a good car to learn in. Your bro should really do his time in a standard beginners car (i.e. hatchback), and when he has his license, he can then look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The_Edge wrote:
    Cheers unkel. I'll pass that onto him tomorrow.
    I'm nearly tempted myself now :)

Just as a side note, this quote was got from bestqoute.ie not 2 mins ago for the brother on the said MX-5:

Third party only.........
    :eek:

Car doesnt seem such a bargain anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

is that the MX-5 on carbuyersguide.ie ??? its been there for a few months now

the 10k quote is hilarious, im 23, 1st provisional and i got $2,136 from quinn direct for that Mazda MX-5 or $1,560 with my 1yr NCB

has he had claims against him before, that seems ridiculous even for insurance companies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

_raptor_ wrote:
    is that the MX-5 on carbuyersguide.ie ??? its been there for a few months now
    It's not advertised at the moment.
    A neighbour is minding it for his friend and I got talking to him about it.
    _raptor_ wrote:
    the 10k quote is hilarious, im 23, 1st provisional and i got $2,136 from quinn direct for that Mazda MX-5 or $1,560 with my 1yr NCB
    I take it you got that qoute online?
    I tried on Quinn Direct's site and it would give a qoute....advised to contact them.
    What car did you choose from the list?

mazda3mc.png

Again, 23 years old, first provisional living in Dublin, 0 NCB.

Your not female are you? :p
    _raptor_ wrote:
    has he had claims against him before, that seems ridiculous even for insurance companies
    Nope, he's never been insured.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

yeah i got the quote online, i actually selected the one you have highlighted i think, and no im not a woman

not being smart or anything but it could be something to with your area im in the dub 13 area ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I rang Quinn recently and was told that they don't quote for soft tops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Bit crazy buying one as a first car IMO. They're light and as a result quite quick and an unexperienced driver in one is asking for trouble.

I drive a high performance car now, I'm also only 23 - but I've a full licence 5 years now and I started out in a 1.25 Fiesta and I've no doubt I would've killed myself in my current car if it had of been my first. Granted it's a bit quicker than an MX5 but they're quick little cars all the same.

They're also a bit girly !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

If he buys this as a first car he'll most likely drift it into a wall or something when it rains.

Advertisement