Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second hand??

• 02-11-2005 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Do anyone here buy second hand cloths? I do sometimes. Some people wouldn't but why not? Why pay e100 for something when you can get it for e20 second hand. I'd like to hear peoples opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Buying 2nd hand is great for the environment aswell as your wallet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

it makes perfect sense. alot of people are too self conscious,proud or stupid to do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭wilkins

You can get excellent unusual stuff second hand, instead of the generic banal high street stuff:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

meh. Clothes from second hand shops are washed better than I'd wash 'em :o
    I still wash them when i get home. After that, it's all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

There aren't enough second hand shops in Dublin. So annoying. And places like Eager Beaver and The Harlequin are expensive. Charity shops are hit and miss really.

London has amazing second hand shops. Brilliant for retro stuff. And my mate came back from Sydney with loadsa deadly clothes from 2nd hand stores and they were cheap too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

london has some really amazing second hand shops-genuine vintage stuff for dirt cheap! though here theres very little of that. wild child is prob the closest to them in dublin. charity shops are also great-hit and miss but its definately worth regularly checking whats in them because you can pick up some great stuff! (my winter coat in perfect condition was on a euro rail in CASA:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Some second-hand stuff isn't that great, but a lot of it is a really great deal! You just have to be patient and look...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Charity shops can be hit and miss, but you can find some good stuff. I'd never say no.

However, some of the vintage clothing shops here are way overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Where's Wild Child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

dudara wrote:
    However, some of the vintage clothing shops here are way overpriced.

Yeah, I was always very disapointed by the vintage shops in Dublin. I used to manage the Oxfam in Rathmines and an awful lot of the stuff that I saw in places like Eager Beaver etc would never have made it onto my shop floor due to the poor quality. And anything that was even remotely nice was ridiculously over priced, sometimes costing up to 3/4 times the cost of something similar new.

I can understand that genuine vintage/antique clothing such as some of the stock of Jenny Vander, for example, can be quite valuable. But much of what is in many vintage shops is just old clothes and of no particular value.

As a general rule of thumb I think second-hand clothes should be around 65-30% of the current value of similar new, unless they are a valuable/rare piece, then it should be it's current market value. Over-pricing is as damaging to the business as under-pricing.

There are some great bargains to be found on ebay, but beware! It can be dangerously addictive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

wild child is on Georges Street literally opposite the arcade. Some good stuff in it...... There used to be 2 deadly second hand shops in the arcade that sold stuff dirtcheap -but alas it's gone.

Over the Christmas season go to the local fairs - I picked up green and navy velvet jackets for 2.50 each -bargain city!!!!!

Blackrock market is also ok for the second hand clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I buy second hand jeans. I bought some real faded levis for £5, while fake faded ones were £85 in the Levis store, and they look more realistic, and are more comfortable.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Every year at our parish fete we all hit the clothes stall and leave with armfuls of lovely clothes. I got an absolutely gorgeous purple top, really dressy, for 30c and my cousin got some good as new D&G jeans for €2

Advertisement