Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IwW on Blizzard of Odd

• 02-11-2005 2:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭

Whiplash TV was just featured on RTE 2's Blizzard of Odd programme. The programme is basically a look at all the unusual stuff available to people on digital TV with that bloke from 'The Panel'.

The presenter basically gave the usual wrestling/homo-erotiscism/oliy men spiel but it was pretty good exposure. Dave Zero came in for special praise whereas yer man was not as big a fan of Red Vinny. It was pretty much a very quick montage of footage from the Lucan show dvd featuring Alex Shane v SOS for the British Heavyweight Title.

They plugged the website as well which was pretty cool. That's Net 2, TV3 and TWC so far this year! As well as a background bit on an ITV show.

It wasn't anything more than the classic mainstream media treatment of pro wrestling but good to see it on such a widely watched programme.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It wasn't anything more than the classic mainstream media treatment of pro wrestling but good to see it on such a widely watched programme.

The Blizzard of Odd is anything but mainstream.

Collin Murphy pokes fun at most things mainstream on the show and highlights the odd ball projects that appear on the internet/dvd/video with an Irish connection.

Last night was the first time he actual praised a TV show. And it wasn’t IWW. I was taking the piss out of it completely.

While any publicity is good publicity don’t be fooled by thinking The Blizzard of Odd was trying to see IWW was good it was in fact saying the complete opposite.

While I know little about IWW (only what I read on boards) I wouldn't use the Blizzard of Odd to promote the organisation as it may put people in the mind set that the organisation is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Sorry to sayDoctorEdgeWild - but that programme did nothing for IWW, let alone Irish wrestling.

The old adage - any exposure is good exposure does not apply here - he poked fun at absolutely every aspect of IWW - and all the wrestlers got some kind of stick - including Dave Zero.

The programme makes a mockery of everything that it shows - and IWW was no different.

I happen to have friends over - who after finishing their fits of laughter asked me straight out - how can anyone taken wrestling seriously after seeing that....I didnt have an answer for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

kearnsr wrote:
    While I know little about IWW (only what I read on boards) I wouldn't use the Blizzard of Odd to promote the organisation as it may put people in the mind set that the organisation is a joke.

IwW didn't use Blizzard of Odd btw, this wasn't set up by IwW. It was a surprise to all of the guys at IwW. I just posted here cos I love to see Irish Wrestling getting any attention expecially when you consider the vast majority of guys on this board are willing to pay 60 bucks to see people phone in their performances in WWE rather than pay 15 bucks to see a much lower budget promotion like IwW, NWA etc. where the wrestlers go to great efforts to attempt to entertain.

Ph3n0m - I take your point, but we are wrestling fans, we understand the risks involved and can list off the many horrible injuries and casualties all in the name of entertaining guys like us. However, 95% of people see pro wrestling a big, fake joke.

It was clearly a piss take, as is that show, but if it gets even one hit on the website, let alone one ticket sold, it is a complete success.

Put it this way, alot more people are now aware of pro wrestling in Ireland. The people who laughed their asses off weren't ever going to come to a show anyway so it's no loss/no gain. Maybe one dude will see that clip and become interested, that's a guaranteed win/win situation.

The blizzard of odd is totally mainstream - Murphy never says anything that hasn't been checked over by the guys at RTE, pokes fun at stupid things, gives us all a laugh. He isn't exactly Howard Stern pushing the envelope! It's on RTE 2 at primetime - gets high viewer ratings, sticks with cheap gags - thats mainstream to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What I thought you where trying to say was that the Blizzard of Odd was a good way off getting exposure for IWW but what I was trying to say was that this kind of expousre may have a bad effect on IWW because it makes it look like a micky mouse production which I'm sure its not and as a result people may not want to come. Hope that makes things clearer!

The blizzard of odd is totally mainstream - Murphy never says anything that hasn't been checked over by the guys at RTE, pokes fun at stupid things, gives us all a laugh. He isn't exactly Howard Stern pushing the envelope! It's on RTE 2 at primetime - gets high viewer ratings, sticks with cheap gags - thats mainstream to me.

This is probably going a bit side ways but when you consider the Ryan Turbridy (SP) show and The Blizzard of Odd, the Blizzard of Odd is anything but mainstream. Just because it conforms to RTE standards doesnt mean its mainstream. Gerk Of Ireland which it showed 2 weeks ago isnt mainstream now is it? I'm sure Howard Stern would've pushed that further! But to be fair I think this is a debate for another board!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

kearnsr wrote:
    But to be fair I think this is a debate for another board!

True.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement