Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iRiver or iPod ?

Options
  • 02-11-2005 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Any techies out there - need help !

Am going travelling next year, love music, so obv am thinking of buying an iPod or an iRiver - i know a fair bit about ipods but feck all about iRivers -
    Whats the advantages of one over the other ?

What one is the best ? Most Durable ? Easier to use ?

And is it true the iRiver has a radio ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Yes iRiver has a radio. I am a commited iPod owner, in fact I have two, a 20gb iPOD and a 4gb nano. I have to say the iPOD's are cooler but I'm pretty subjective. If you're travelling I'd say you'll need an iPOD with a big harddrive because updating and adding music to it on the move may not be practicle. You can also get more accesories for the iPOD like a radio adapter and a tough case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Think about it.. the only reason you have even heard of iRiver is because it's a better player. I'm guessing you haven't heard of the Xclef brand, this is because it's not a great player. Amongst all the trend and marketting and advertising and the way iPod is the "Hoover" of MP3 players, you have heard of iRiver who do no marketting or anything over here. The simple reason for this is because people talk about it because it's a better player. If the iPod was actually a better player and the best out there you wouldn't really hear of any competition at all because all the people who do research what they buy would come to the conclusion that the iPod is the best, if it was, so the competition wouldn't get much respect, unless it was better, which it is, which is why you have heard of iRiver.

You can wait for more replies but the conclusion from all iPod -vs- iRiver threads is that if you want a basic mp3 player that looks sleek and is fashionable and you're prepared to sacrifice extra functionality, more money and an all round better player, then go for the iPod.

The reason you get people voting against the iPod isn't because they hate apple or anything (well maybe some do) but it's simply because you asked and they are trying to advise you against a monopoly fashionable, well marketed product and for the one that is better value and well, just better.

The only reason I have ever backed up iRiver in these types of thread is because they are a better player and were the best until the iAudio X5 was released. However, the iRiver H1XX series is actually now the best (again) as it has rockbox on it. When I say the H1XX is the best, I mean it's the best MP3 player, it doesn't play videos but it has the most options for mp3 playback and best functionality with the hardware and software now. The iRiver H3XX series and the iAudio X5 will also be host to rockbox, but it will take a few months before they are implemented. In terms of an MP3 player (not video, photo viewer etc) the H1XX will still be slightly better than the H3XX or the X5 as it has better hardware options (optical out playing a big part).

Just remember, the reason this thread exists is because there are better players than the iPod.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

I have an iRiver myself and it's great. Supports all file formats. It's an older model so doesn't have colour screen but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I would advise you get an Cowon iAudio X5 or X5L (double battery life) as they are probably the best HD MP3 player on the market at the moment and an ideal partner for your travels. My sis got one a few weeks ago and the real selling point is that it can connect directly to a digital camera so you can transfer your pics from your camera without the need for a PC. You'll have to check the cowon.com website to for camera compatibility. Comes in 20GB - 60GB flavours. Nice and small too. Depends on how much you're willing to spend but imo, it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if you're travelling you'll need something with a good battery life, which rules the iPod out completely

when i had an ipod i used it about 30minutes a day to and from college and it needed to be charged every three days.

whereas with my iriver i now have a longer journey 1hour 30 minutes and it doesn't need to be charged for two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

iriver.
    i need not say more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Got an iRiver H320, think it's great use it for music, e-books, radio, file storage for college and other stuff, and for videos, although you will have to reformat the videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

I'll echo cormie's post. I bought a H320 for the same reason and haven't looked back. If I had the choice tomorrow I'd be pissed because they don't make them anymore! It really depends on what you want though. I think

http://www.misticriver.net should cater for all your irivery needs and http://www.iaudiophile.net for your iaudio needs.

Wouldn't hold out too long for rockbox on the 320 because I think they only started developing it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I bought an iAudio X5L 30GB... big enough hard drive, extensive set of features, fantastic sound quality, 35 hour battery life ... best toy I ever bought myself. Better quality and easier to use than the iRiver. Leaves the iPod in its dust.

The X5 is undoubtedly the best out of the box DAP (digital audio player) out there at the moment. If price isn't an issue and you want a bit more than DAP (USB on the go, photo viewer, video playback etc) and are willing to sacrifice more audio playback options, that yes, you may never have use for, definitely go for the X5, it is pricey though. If you want the most functional DAP (audio wise) then try and find a second hand iRiver H120 (20GB) or H140 (40GB).

One main feature of RockBox on the H1XX is crossfading tracks into eachother, makes your listening experience so much better, especially at the likes of parties if you have a few people up dancing, the music is just non stop. It's great:)
    Better quality and easier to use than the iRiver.

What do you mean better quality? Ease of use is just down to getting use to it. I can't compare them both as I haven't used the X5 so it could well be easier to use indeed. Rockbox with iRiver takes some getting used to but it's very easy to use once you know how:)

I think it's safe to say your original question has been answered anyway. iPods are far more popular than any other brand yet look at the replies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

rule of thumb...if its white, its a load of sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Kabuto

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that not everyone who buys the ipod is a sheep. Find me a 30gig player as small as the Ipod with a QVGA screen for anywhere near the same price and i'll be convinced otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Having never owned an iPod myself I don't really want to say anything about the pros or cons but I would definitely recommend the iRiver.
    I've got a H320 myself and I'd echo what D said. Lovely player and I'd trust the rest of their merchandise too

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kabuto wrote:
    Why is it so hard for some people to understand that not everyone who buys the ipod is a sheep. Find me a 30gig player as small as the Ipod with a QVGA screen for anywhere near the same price and i'll be convinced otherwise

It's an mp3 player , why do you need a qvga screen. I know loads of people who ran out and bought the ipod photo when it came out, not one ofthem has ever put a photo on it. I love the old "it looks great" (not form yourself) arguement, because all you ever see of an mp3 player is the headphones, they live in the pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

To make it short: iPod is crap.

Why? It looks cool doesn't it? Yes it does. In fact, damn cool, timeless design factor. But not everything that sparkles is gold you know.

I bought an iRiver H320 after iSold my iPod 3G 20GB. Here's my comparison:

iPod

Pros:

- Stylish design factor
    - Longest battery life
    - Vivid display
    - Fits into any pocket (especially "nano")
    - Current models do play videos in certain formats

Cons:

- Housing looks bad after a few touches
    - Housing scratches easily (Apple knows this by the way)
    - Can't play WMA
    - No radio tuner and/or microphone
    - Accessories are relatively expensive
    - Current models do not support FireWire (:eek: )
    - Absolutely DEPENDANT on iTunes

iRiver

Pros:

- All features from current iPod models (except long videos)
    - Built-in Radio tuner
    - Built-in microphone
    - Can encode from radio and microphone into MP3 in real time
    - Supports many equalizer functions, you can also set your own
    - Can play WMA
    - Firmware upgradable
    - Completely platform INDEPENDENT, every computer that supports USB supports this player
    - Files can be downloaded from other devices directly without a PC in between

Cons:

- Form factor not as stylish as iPod
    - Weighs a bit more than iPod
    - Doesn't have corners as round as from iPod
    - No FireWire
    - No 'Clickwheel'

====================

I stick to my iRiver, and I don't look back. I'm not gonna buy an iPod, even if it can record video in DivX with a built-in camera or whatnot. iPod is crap, and that's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

cormie wrote:
    Ease of use is just down to getting use to it.
    Heh. Actually thats exactly what it isn't! If you need to "get used" to it, or god forbid, you need to read the manual, then it's not easy to use! An mp3 player isn't a spaceship. Anyone thats reasonably tech savy should be able to pick up any DAP and figure out how to use it without the need for instructions.

This is the one area where apple actually got it right. OK they may have robbed the menu system from Creative, but they combined it with a better hardware interface. I know a lot of people will say that iPods are easier to use coz they don't have near as many features, but thats only a small part of the reason. If an interface is well designed then it should remain easy to use no matter how many features are present. I'm sorry, I tend to go on about this kind of thing, but I've studied HCI and it just really pisses me off when I come accross a poor interface. iRiver put so much effort into their hardware, but then don't seem to give a damn about the software.

Anyway, back on topic. iPod vs iRiver, i'd defo choose iRiver. Especially for travelling as you can hook it up to any PC you want without having to install any software whatsoever. However if I was to buy an mp3 player right now I'd prob go for the iAudio as others have already recommended.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

There is absolutely no contest between an ipod and an iriver, iriver wins every time. Fact of the matter is that ipods are actually one of the worst players out there and its basically a very successfull marketing campaign that has got them to where they are today. An ipod is a fashion accessory first and an mp3 player second. Whatever you do dont waste your money on an ipod.

I own an iriver H320 and its an excellent player for both audio and video. I have lots of episodes of the simpsons etc on mine and its great for looking at them. teh sound quality is excellent as is battry life and it has all teh features you could want. It is slightly bigger than some players but its worth it.

Get an Iriver or an IAudio and stay the hell away from IPods

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Go retro and get one of these instead, everyone will look in awe. You can store your music on removable magnetic cassettes so there is no need to access Personal Computers

group7.jpg

PS. I own one of the older iRiver H-Series, and they are great. Long battery life and can be plugged in to any PC without the need of additional software as it's seen as a removable hard drive.

TC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Did anyone mention IRIVER yet??? I mean...like...come on they need to be on your short list of what to get :p

I'm a H140 owner with rockbox and it pretty much rox, works great sounds great. Recentlly got a iskin for it and im loving it even more now (they make the player appear so much smaller than with the leather case).

Creative do white mp3 players to if thats what you like.

The X5, not used one, does look very nice!

No mention of sony yet, they have a new player out to now, looks decent enough i believe the battery is very good in it to.

Jozi

EDIT: another thing i really like about iriver (not sure ifthis applies to all) is, i plug it into usb and voila a removable HD no drivers required. Is this the same for the X5???

• Registered Users Posts: 43,926 ✭✭✭✭Basq

HomunQlus wrote:
    iPod

Cons:

- Absolutely DEPENDANT on iTunes
    Nonsense..!

There's plenty of third-party software out there that support the iPod besides iTunes. EphPod and myPod being two such applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

pro for ipod
    - Longest battery life

shouldn't that be a con for the ipod and a pro for the iriver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

basquille wrote:
    Nonsense..!

There's plenty of third-party software out there that support the iPod besides iTunes. EphPod and myPod being two such applications.
    Yes but what if the computer you use say that isn't yours doesn't have access to these programs?? You're screwed then if you want to add or delete songs from the iPod. I say get an MP3 player which acts as a removable disc-no fuss no muss-iRiver,iAudio,Archos etc....

basquille wrote:
    Nonsense..!

Same with iRiver. Windows and Linux being two such applications :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I know you asked to choose between an iRiver or an iPod but what about the Zen Sleek from Creative. I own one myself and am very impressed with it.

Its 20Gb storage
    Inbuilt radio
    .mp3/.wma/.wav
    16hrs battery life (while I don't know if it lasts 16hrs its very impressive, you'll never have to worry about it.
    Cost €269 - €300 (Argos) depending on where you buy. I got mine in Beyond2000 in Dublin back in July for €289.

Whatever you buy don't buy an iPod they are over priced (when I bought my Zen an equivalent 20Gb iPod cost €350 and thats with no radio), over hyped. No radio and crap battery life. I know four different ppl with iPods and everyone of them has had battery problems.

Cons:
    1) Doesn't work on Macs
    2) Doesn't support .ogg format

If you don't own a Mac and you don't care about .ogg then buy a Zen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

I bought my g/f this iaudio mp3 player for xmas and it arrived monday.
    http://www.mx2.co.uk/default.asp?part=IAX520BL
    its sweet. 20Gig HD, plays all sorts of music formats as well as video and radio. Record songs from the radio, store pics watch movie. If your travelling then I recommend at least checking out the i audio range. It has long life battery too.

I wish I was your girlfriend!!! ehem. hehe. I don't know if I could give it away, it's the best out there at the moment and it's certainly a great piece of kit:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

What one is the best ?

ipod video 60GB

Most Durable ?

ipod

Easier to use ?

ipod

I have had both and although the iriver has extra features ya cant beat the ipod.Only bad thing about the ipod is that ya cant change the battery when its ****ed. Where as on the smaller 6bg iriver you can

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Kabuto wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009D5GS4/qid=1133893496/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/203-8445245-2343968

What one is the best ?

ipod video 60GB

Most Durable ?

ipod

Easier to use ?

ipod

I have had both and although the iriver has extra features ya cant beat the ipod.Only bad thing about the ipod is that ya cant change the battery when its ****ed. Where as on the smaller 6bg iriver you can

hope this helps

iAudio X5 60GB whips iPod Videos ass, it's cheaper, plays more codecs, has a much better remote, firmware, battery, drag and drop, file tree etc. iPod may be easier to use, because theres not a whole lot to it. iAudio X5, €407 delivered from mx2.co.uk, iPod photo 60GB retails at about €460.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

cormie wrote:
    What do you mean better quality?

I mean that the quality of the sound out of the iAudio player is superior to that out of the iRiver player.
    cormie wrote:
    Ease of use is just down to getting use to it.

No, it isn't. Ease of use is down to anyone being able to pick it up and use it easily within a minute or two.
    cormie wrote:
    I can't compare them both as I haven't used the X5 so it could well be easier to use indeed.

Ah, well I can compare both as I've used both and own the X5(L), and as I run the MP3 area in a retail store, I test and play a wide range of models from Creative, iRiver, iAudio, Sony, Apple and other brands every day, and I can indeed tell you that the H3XX seems relatively clunky compared with the X5, which is simple to use.
    cormie wrote:
    Rockbox with iRiver takes some getting used to but it's very easy to use once you know how:)

The fact that you need to replace the firmware with an unofficial one which "takes some getting used to" to get the best out of your player rather than it being fully capable and easy to use out of the box is a strong black mark against it in my opinion, - especially considering the technophobia among a large proportion of consumers out there.

Personally, however, I think that iRiver took their H340 off the market far too early - particularly as they haven't managed to bring out an adequate replacement for it yet (even a 40GB H10 would fall spectacularly short of the mark, in my opinion).

• Advertisement

Must say I agree 100% with everything there bard. Especially iRiver taking the H300 off the market too early. I had mine in my cousins house last night and they all thought it was a fantastic piece of kit. They couldn't believe it when I told them it wasn't even being made any more. Really it's not that far behind the X5. If iRiver put some decent firmware on it then IMO it would be on a par. Yes its chunkier, but it also has a better screen than the x5. Much better for watching video IMO. And of course it has all the ports integrated, rather than requiring an attachment.

Advertisement