Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathdrum BB and waiting times

• 02-11-2005 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all
    I bought a place in Ballinaclash Co. Wicklow which is due to be finished in December 05. I called Eircom last night to arrange a phone line and they confirmed that the Rathdrum exchange is BB enabled. Yippee.:D

However, I'm seriously worried about how long it could take to get the line ready and then ready for BB. I am self-emploted and work from home (internet/webmatser related) and I am effectively out of business if I am not online.

How long do Line Installation and BB normally take to install?
    THANKS!:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Hi,

you might want to check how far your new place is from the exchange in Rathdrum as Eircom have a limit of 4-4.5km on DSL. Remember that it is not as the crow flies, but how the copper actually makes it way to you.

Even if you are within the 4.5 range you may still have problems as Eircom are prone to using splitters in rural areas of Wicklow. If you have a splitter on the line forget getting DSL.

Given that your job relies on BB you might want to check these out before the line is installed, and make the point to Eircom that your new line needs to be free of splitters. They may, if there is any capacity, take this into account, then again being Eircom they probably wont.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 sparowhawk360

What is a splitter?

I meant to say that when I ordered the phone line that the Ericom lady
    said the line will be suitable for BB as she actually put me on hold while she called through to the technical dept.

I assume she meant my actual line....and not just the exchange...is this too much to hope...i've been reading too many horror stories. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Check this out for more information on splitters.

I'd not rely too much on the word of the Eircom rep you talked to as it would require local knowledge to say for certain if your line will work after its installed. What I mean by this is that the local engineers will know the distance from the exchange, the condition of the copper and the presence of splitters.

M.

Advertisement