Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat/kitten litter problem

Options
  • 02-11-2005 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Its nothing major but SOMETIMES my kitten sophie goes to the toilet just outside her tray. She has a strange habbit of even when she goes inside she does not cover up as she tries to cover up outside the tray. So it smells
    Main thing though is going outside.

Is there any way of getting her to stop going outside the tray? I mean we are talking inches here :D

Her mother, Asia is a lot better. She only goes outside if she does not get in all the way and it falls over the side :D She does usually cover up though.

I was thinking maybe an enclosed one might solve it and force them to have to go inside. Good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Saruman wrote:
    Its nothing major but SOMETIMES my kitten sophie goes to the toilet just outside her tray. She has a strange habbit of even when she goes inside she does not cover up as she tries to cover up outside the tray. So it smells
    Main thing though is going outside.

Is there any way of getting her to stop going outside the tray? I mean we are talking inches here :D

Her mother, Asia is a lot better. She only goes outside if she does not get in all the way and it falls over the side :D She does usually cover up though.

I was thinking maybe an enclosed one might solve it and force them to have to go inside. Good idea?

I find this happens if the tray is not 100% clean, however we just got the enclosed one from Argos and our kitten has not gone outside of the tray since.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

It usually happens if the litter tray is not kept very clean - you need to scoop them at least twice daily, preferably more often. You also need to throw out all the litter once a week, and thoroughly wash the tray with warm water and mild detergent, rinsing all residue of the detergent thoroughly, and letting it air dry, then re-fill with entirely fresh litter.

Ours are fussy little buggers and when they didn't like the cleanliness they did similar to yours - right beside the tray, so you get the message :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its not cleanliness as it happens in a new batch. Plus i actually throw it out more like every 4 or 5 days. Will try the enclosed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

One of mine is fussy about *how* I clean the tray. She doesn't like trigene etc. If I use the wrong cleaning agent she goes beside the tray.

The covered litters helped no end with her too - I suspect some of the "hood" retains some of the smell so she feels safe using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It might be the litter?? I used to get the Tesco one but they changed it - it fizzed when it got wet and the cat was afraid of it!! I use the Thomas one now in the enclosed box - I put in a bag around the tray first, then lie the bag of litter in the tray and just cut down the centre of the bag..It saves making a cloud of dust and it's the perfect amt for my cat!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

we have one of the argos enclosed ones and it's perfect. €13.99 i think it was. very good buy, as well as the cat kit, with a little basket, scratch post, carry box etc, although the litter tray that comes with that is too big for our little 11 week old kitten.

he's only ever gone outside of his tray once though, and that was to make a point.

i had told him off because he keeps picking up his food and eating it like a squirrell with both paws, but then he drops lots of it, at which point it seems like a good idea to push it all around the room, making a huge mess.

i gave him a good telling off (not abusing, just strong tone of voice, and picking him up, showing him what he'd done) at which point he went off to sulk. it wasn't till i went to bed that i discovered that he'd pee'd on my pillow as an act of defiance. he's very bold.

since spending a night locked in the kitchen with only his tray and food for company instead of free roaming the house at night, and gettign no affection for 24 hours, he's got the message, but it was rather surprising to say the least.

if he does it again though, i plan on taking a dump in his basket, see how he likes it. ;)
    [align=right]13.16.137.10[/align]

Advertisement