Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messing up already...

Options
  • 02-11-2005 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else feel like they're messing up their year already? In my own case, I have fallen into my old habits from last year, namely missing too many lectures. As I write this, I'm at home and about to head to college but if I had gotten my act together, I would have made my 9am lecture this morning - as opposed to staying in bed.

I've a hell of alot of essays to do as well, not to mention a presentation, all due for next week and I feel like I'm already in danger of screwing up 2nd year. I just can't seem to get it together.

Anyone else feel like this?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm being good :)
    7 and a half weeks of term, and I've missed NO lectures :)

Money is a good motivator for me, I'm sorry to say. Paying over €4000 for college makes me actually do some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Yup, I've been very bad work-wise this year. I've doubled my hours at work, taken on a lot of stuff for the philosophy society and the union, and been out driunking way too much, all of which means that going to lectures, tutorials and seminarts, doing reading, and writing essays have been shoved down the priorities list.

But it's early days yet, and the great thing about an arts degree is that a few weeks of hardcore studying before may is all you really need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Yeah I've been terrible despite knowing that there is quite a high failure rate in 2nd year chem eng. I just can't motivate myself to get up in the morning so I end up skipping lectures and just going to practicals.
    Im sure it'll sort itself out after christmas...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I'm not finding it too difficult to get to lectures - what's proving hard for me is trying to find the time to get all the study and work i'm expected to have done done. Keeping on top of everything is pretty difficult - although most people say second year is the hardest so if you get through it we can get through the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Have to agree with rainbow kirby, having to repeat is good medicine. Up till now my attendance has been almost perfect,have found the more college I go to the less time I have to do the assignments.Went a bit mad over the weekend at the cork jazz festival and then halloween so haven't made it to lectures in the last couple of days but determined to get back into the swing of things before I get too used to sleeping in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i'm already ****ed:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I haven't missed any lectures or practicals yet, but I keep waiting til the last minute to do all my assignments (except my lab reports - I like them), meaning I'm getting snowed under, but ah well :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I got my first essay for the year back today - Got a 2:1.
    F**k yeah, I'd practically forgotten what a mark like that felt like.:D

Anyway, I got into exceptionally bad habits in 2nd year, only started studying 2 weeks before, and only for 1 subject - History - and still passed. Failed politics, but then I did 2 weeks study in that for Autumn, and passed.

Seriously, you've got nothing to worry about. And as someone else said, 2nd year is academically difficult in the same way that 1st year was socially difficult (IMO anyway). Just get the odd essay done, and go to the odd tutorial. Then study 4 weeks from the exams. You'll bag it, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

yea, im already feeling the strain. i cant motivate myself to work this early in the year despite the fact that i have essays and presentations aplenty. finals starting at xmas so i should really get my act together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Go to all your tutorials and hand in all your essays.... that's the best tip I can give on how to pass. If you don't go to all your tutorials and hand in all your essays, the chance of you failing goes from like 10% to 50%. Looking at a list of tutorials students here... the ones who missed the first 3 tutorials have already failed the whole of first year by not being there for just 3 particular hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Ah good ol' 2nd year syndrome...... everyone seems to have it!

I was actually going to post something on this matter as it seems to me everyone who I know in 2nd year in UCD or any other college is absolutely struggling with college work all of a sudden. I know some people who have got really down over college all of a sudden after enjoying and drinking away their 1st year and who are now talking about quitting their courses. I think the loss of the novelty of being a new fresher wears off and suddenly you're like ''f**k, I'm actually doing a degree here.'' I've even had someone say to me they wish they failed their 1st year!

I myself who is repeating 1st year is doing fcuk all. Now I only have to do 2 modules but I just can't be arsed putting the work in. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but i miss the control that secondary school had over me regarding homework etc. Being in college dossing and doing nothing is handed to you on a silver platter and 95% of people take the easy route. Now I'm not a dosser believe it or not but I'm one of those people that needs a kick up the arse to work. Hopefully repeating will do that for me in the long run because I will have to work eventually to get a degree.

You've got lots of time till the exams. You're only a third through the year and that = loads more time to study and do some work. Do some work but don't kill yourself... get a good mix. If you seriously think at any point you might fail coming up towards the end of the year do something about (ie. get grinds) and don't go near Blackrock in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

Think I'm managing alright, i've managed to get all my essays in on time although been in bed sick all week so now have three due this week which haven't even looked at. But does anyone else find their tutors absolutely useless. I have one in particular for two different tutorials(lucky me yeh) and she is totally hopeless. I mean I'm always willing to give someone a chance or whatever but basically we sit in the tutorial looking at the clock coz she gives us no info, no notes, barely explains our assignments and spent the first thirty minutes of our first 4 tutorials making us introduce ourselves and say why we liked the chosen subject. Missed one tutorial last week and one from her other subject the week before, but basically i just feel I learn more not going. She's just ****s with ur head, questions like"....so, eh what do you think...". Eh what do i think about what???I'm all for this continuous assesment and tutorials being compulsory and all that but I think when u get landed with someone who can't eh tutor the option should be there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey is it true that you have tutorials with your lecturers in 3rd year? My brother told me that (although he graduated about 7 years ago...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

DaveMcG wrote:
    Hey is it true that you have tutorials with your lecturers in 3rd year? My brother told me that (although he graduated about 7 years ago...)

I know people who had their lecturers at tutors in 1st year let alone 3rd year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Oh.

Right on.

Advertisement