Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madonna - Hung Up

Options
  • 02-11-2005 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what ye think of Madonna's new song. I think its absolutely brilliant. I can't stop listening to it, I can't remember ever being so passionate about a song! She bought the rights or something of ABBA's Gimme, gimme, gimme so the tune of that is running in the back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

She bought the rights or something

The term is "sample". And she would have got permission to use it for a certain fee or percentage of the royalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I was just wondering what ye think of Madonna's new song. I think its absolutely brilliant. I can't stop listening to it, I can't remember ever being so passionate about a song! She bought the rights or something of ABBA's Gimme, gimme, gimme so the tune of that is running in the back.

I would have expected madonna to have more talent, relying on someone else's song to prop up what she has in the charts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like some of madonnas stuff, but this song is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

TmB wrote:
    I like some of madonnas stuff, but this song is terrible.

agreed. Its like a crap version of Gwen Steffanis recent songs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

joejoem wrote:

Spot on, also seeing a 50 year old woman in a pink leotard is not what I want to see.

stuart Price aka Jacque Lu Cont produced her full album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Brilliant tune, I'm a big Jacques Lu Cont fan.

Good video too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

plazzTT wrote:
    I'm a big Jacques Lu Cont fan.

Read this, its a great interview:

http://www.popjustice.co.uk/features/stuartprice/

especially the "Hung up" question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Well said RopeDrink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

horrible horrible song

i wish that woman would retire or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I was just wondering what ye think of Madonna's new song. I think its absolutely brilliant. I can't stop listening to it, I can't remember ever being so passionate about a song!

Go to a doctor. It's really really awful. The fact that she is relying on a famous sample to get her a hit shows that she's past it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

joejoem wrote:
    i agreed too.
    I didnt know it was her when I first heard it, and I actually thought someone had ABBA on in the background of some other tune.
    The sample just doesnt fit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Spot on, also seeing a 50 year old woman in a pink leotard is not what I want to see.
    Madonna is gorgeous. Would you say no? I cant believe how many people say she's ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

BuffyBot wrote:
    The term is "sample". And she would have got permission to use it for a certain fee or percentage of the royalties.

Correct. It's only the second time ever that ABBA have allowed anyone to sample one of their songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I love the song. I hear she has also sampled the Jackson's "Can you feel it" on her album as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I dislike the song. It pales hugely in comparison to her other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

its terrible, here is a woman who was once termed Queen Of Pop, who cannot write a song anymore without relying on samples. She is now no better than those cheesy dance DJ's who remix 80's tunes. Wheres the creativity in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

Nightwish wrote:
    its terrible, here is a woman who was once termed Queen Of Pop, who cannot write a song anymore without relying on samples. She is now no better than those cheesy dance DJ's who remix 80's tunes. Wheres the creativity in that?

I think it's a bit excessive to say that can't write a song anymore without relying on samples. She's trying out using samples simply because it's what other artists are doing and she wants to keep up with what's "happening" in the pop scene.

I haven't heard the song tbh, nor do I really listen to her music but from the little I do know, I'd say she's one of the more talented artists in the pop world of today.

She's experimented before with lots of different styles and this is just another experiment. She'll no doubt be back next year with some other newfangled style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

There is something wierd about it, like watching your aunt or something. Its just not nice kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Teller

How many 47 year old women do you know that look like Madonna? She has a better body than most 20 year olds! I like the song, it's good to dance to in a nightclub.

You might enjoy dancint to "Gimme Gimme Gimme" by abba so. :)

• Advertisement

I think it's a bit excessive to say that can't write a song anymore without relying on samples. She's trying out using samples simply because it's what other artists are doing and she wants to keep up with what's "happening" in the pop scene.

Just because a large proportion of the pop industry is unable to write a song without relying on pieces of other songs does not mean that she has to give up writing her own music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

lacuna wrote:

I feel, that since shes decided "to follow the crowd", she has lost any shred of credibilty she had left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

People have been sampling tracks for years. I think the Madonna track is concise, clever and a great pop tune. And she's still writing her own stuff.
    On the otherhand, I used to love The Jackson's "Can You Feel It" until The Tamperer ruined it for me.

Binomate - I think it's Donna Summer/Giorgio Mordoder's "I Feel Love" that Madonna samples on the new album?

Advertisement