Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Madness

Options
  • 02-11-2005 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

Is anyone elses head wrecked by the demon NCT?? Maybe its just me but I finally cracked last week.

Bought a jeep from the UK this time last year. Changed the plates & got my insurance and tax sorted. I assumed that in todays technology the NCT crowd would pick up my details from the tax records and send me a test date. After 9 months and still no sign of a date, I rang them (as I didnt want to get fined). They told me that I had to ring in order to arrange a test and that I had to drive my car up to my nearest NCT centre to register it. I asked could I fax in the form - no they said i had to appear in person. ok. I asked why nobody had actually told me this when I taxed my car? she didnt know- and no, the 2 systems are not linked.
    Drove all the way up to the NCt offices, filled in a form (they didnt even look at my car) and was then told to post it to head office myself as their fax machines was not working! Did this. A month later, still no NCT. So I called again and was told that once my car was registered I had to ring to book the test. Again I questioned why the hell I hadnt been told this???

anyway, did my test passed everything except the suspension cos a part was worn and was told to bring it back by end oct for re-test. got my new part and the machanic discovered that another part was worn so I have orderde that too. My car has been sat in the mechanics yard from the day of my NCT until now because i cannot safely drive it without this new part.

So I figured I should ring the NCT crowd and explain that I would have to delay my re-test as I was waiting on the part. The NCT now tell me that I have to pay for a full-re test. I refused as the car has not moved since the last one and its not my fault that I couldnt make it within 30 days. They then started giving me grief saying it was impossible for them to schedule a re-test once the 30 days have passed. Again I argued that Im not paying another 49 quid for a full re-test when the car hasnt been moved and I only need one part re-tested . knowing them they will now find fault with all the parts that originally passed. I ended up speakign to that girls supervisor and still had no luck. I told her its amoney racket and a joke i cant believe they are getting away with this kind of thing. Its supposed to be about safety but its not. I already paid 49 euro and now they want 49 more because I couldnt get a part from Japan in 30 days!. I was that mad that I told them to f**k off and sing for it. I still dont have my part yet but I will have to re-apply for my test. Im nearly tempted to ignore it and get fined by the gardai to make an example.
    I asked the girl to record my complaint. She said she couldnt look me up by name on the system only by reg number and I didnt have my reg number. This was very funny as when I originally rang to book my test they were perfectly able to look me up by name - funny that

sorry aout the huge rant I just am so annoyed about this. It drives me mad that everyone allows this kinda thing to happen. If we all turned around tomorrow and refused to pay for NCT theres nothing they could do about it - they cant fine us all!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dilly1

the NCT is a joke, Its a bad copy of the the British MOT system.
    The problem is that Irish roads are crap, so the cars suffer badly
    so they need more servicing. But its so expensive to keep your car
    in good running condition because everything in this country is overpriced
    along with the fact that the Government (who decided to copy the MOT)
    still think that a car is a luxury item and tax us heavily on them, even though it is actually a necessity because the public transport infrastructure is so crap . I could go on but i think I'll stop my rant now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If we all turned around tomorrow and refused to pay for NCT theres nothing they could do about it - they cant fine us all!!
    Oh yes they can, they'd just build it into the road tax, and if we stopped paying that they'd build it into fuel duties. If we all stopped driving they'd build it into bus/rail prices, they're the government, there's no way to beat them or stop giving them their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

they are evil

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Just as an aside, I brought a car in from Japan about a year ago. I got a letter from the NCT crowd about a month after I had re-registered and taxed it telling me I needed to make an appointment for an NCT, so telling you the systems aren't (at least in some way) linked is cr@p, frankly.

Must book it one of these years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

they are evil

The test is'nt evil (in this instance!) but clearly the arse and elbow are yet again hard to tell apart thanks to the lack of integration. Sounds like a letter is required.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If we all turned around tomorrow and refused to pay for NCT theres nothing they could do about it - they cant fine us all!!

At the moment they don't care at all about cars with no NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I got a letter about 6 months after I registred my import. Due to a minor not-my-fault mishap :) that car has been sold on and I've bought a new one.

Rang them asking could I keep the original date and just put the new one through (it's basically the same except the coupe version of the one I had) - nope.... like you were told I've apparently to go up in person and register it.

Unfortunately however, the nearest centre is Ballymun and I work in Navan, so I might just wait for them to send me a new letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bond-007 wrote:
    At the moment they don't care at all about cars with no NCT.
    That's clear ... but why??? It's a requirement in law that you should have one, and if you don't then you're breaking the law. In my world, that's what police forces are there to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement