Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XP Reinstall disks missing... Need advice

• 02-11-2005 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick question.

Friends PC has gotten to a state whereby a reinstall is recommended.

Its a HP box. Searched his place looking for the 'restore' disk of whatever they chose to call the disk which holds the XP install. Couldnt find it.

SO heres my question. There is a product key skicker on the box for WinXP Home Ed, and i have a copy of WinXP home OEM knocking about. If i use that version and the key on the box, is that legal? Will there be any problem re-registering to MS, or is the key tied to a HP specific version of XP? etc

You get the idea...

I need to make sure that this is 100% legal and am not sure as to the licensing issues involved with the reinstall, and the various XP versions that big PC manufacturers might have licensed.:confused:

On the other hand, I can just buy a copy of XP if need be... and know i stand.

thnx,

dalk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

Just do a repair and depending on huch much has to be corrected you might get away with not activating windows again, otherwise just ring them and they will give you a new activation key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Yes you can use your cd and his key to do the reinstall as the sticker is his licence and is ligit. However you will lose any applications that came with it and you will need to reinstall the drivers which you can get from the hp site.

Now are you sure it requires a cd?some don't, check the hp website. go to www.hp.com, click support and drivers, enter model number and it will give you the drivers,if you do need to do the install, but it will also tell you wether it came with cds. Often it is just a matter of pressing F10 on startup(on the HP logo screen) when u turn on the pc, as most have it preinstalled and hidden.

Good luck and let us know how u get on.
    Timeout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Hi,

thanx for the help Timeout...

Looks like the 'Recovery' disks can be recreated from files on a hidden partition.:)

thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wavin

dalk wrote:
    Hi,

thanx for the help Timeout...

Looks like the 'Recovery' disks can be recreated from files on a hidden partition.:)

thank you
    did you make those recovery disks yet?
    i was trying to do this on a friends computer, HP as well, but pressing F buttons on startup did nothing and there was nothing in the start menu or program files that i could find to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Hi,

No I havent tried yet, but from a quick perusal of the HP support site (regarding the specific PC in question) it seems to be possible... I wont be doing this until possibly this weekend. I'll let you know how i get on.

dalk

• Advertisement
Advertisement