Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten wanted!

Options
  • 02-11-2005 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

My god how difficult it seems to acquire a kitten in Dublin these days!!

Every place Ive rang insists on a home check for the cat, along with the completion of a (in all honesty) privacy intruding questionairre and basically and an interview for suitability.

Ive had 1 cat in my lifetime, which we got at 10 weeks old, garfield, he was loved by both me and my mother until the age of 7 when we had to give him up for rehoming as our property situation had changed. It was absolutely heartbreaking at the time, but now, we've managed to move into an apartment where pets are fine and Ive decided to get a new kitty.
    The whole point of getting this cat is, that my mother doesnt know until I actually get the kitten. I know that every time I mention a kitten it brings back the heart ache of letting garfield go.
    But it doesnt seem that anyone in the dublin area will let a kitten go without doing all sorts of background checks and home checks. I am all for these checks, but can it not wait until the kitten has settled down (3-4 weeks in his/her new home)????

I just want a kitty for gods sake!!
    It has to be a suprise, therefore, pre-home checks arent exactly going to help are they?

I have 2 cat loving friends in kilkenny, who each own 4 cats and are my age (21), I explained the nonsense Ive been faced with in the past week just to try and get a kitten and they could not believe it, they have NEVER been asked such questions or had such hassle. Theyve just taken the kitten home and cared for it. Ive taken 2 days off work now, at who knows what cost, only to have wasted both of them!
    Both friends are enquiring for me now also, but its looking less and less likely that its going to be possible to just get a kitten, spur of the moment without my mother finding out prior.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Homechecks are in place for the safety and well being of the animal in question, i've had them and i wouldn't consider them intrusive! Handing out kittens to anyone who turns up on the doorstep would be irresponible, as would handing them out to be given as gifts. Wouldn't it be better to have your mum included in the kitten selection process, at least that way you know she actually wants one.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

There have been disgusting reports of people in the past taking dogs and cats out of shelters to use as 'blood bait' for dogfighting. Hence the background checks nowadays.

Surely if you have any respect for the animals and the people who give up so much to provide the services and time to help so many poor animals, you wouldn't object to a quick once over of your accommodation and answering a questionnaire.

Why do you think you shouldn't have to answer some basic questions aimed at guaranteeing the animal's welfare? Is your precious privacy more important than ensuring the welfare of the animal?

Of course you are going to give a kitten a loving home, but the shelter people don't know that - I'd much rather go through a process like you describe than think that perhaps your future kitten's siblings have been handed over to an unscrupulous individual who will be cruel to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I got a lovely kitten from here

http://www.lasthope.ie/

Worth a try.

Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

You'd me much better off getting two kittens. It's actually less work than just one, because they play together and keep each other company.

When our cats used to have kittens and I'd be rehoming them when they were old enough, I used to interrogate the prospective owners, and make sure they knew all about the fact that an animal is a responsibility.
    "Now you do know the lifespan of a cat can be up to 20 years..."

[edit]
    I don't like the look of that Last Hope place. They don't seem to know very much about the animals they are trying to rehome.

They say "Pups are excellent for families with small children, whereas an adult dog may be too boisterous."

I'm sorry, but isn't it the other way around? Adult dogs are much more chilled than pups. And a lot of people with small children won't have the time to housetrain a pup and teach it manners.
    Plus, the pup isn't going to be a pup for very long!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree with the above, if only people that gave away cats willy nilly would check out homes and make sure they were spayed/neutered it would save a lot of trouble for rescues and the public alike in the long run. Asking questions is a good sign, it means the person you are getting the animal from has most likely cared for it properly and wishes that care to continue. The questions don't mean to be intrusive.
    If I put my time, money and care towards an animal I simply want the best for the critter, to many rescues each animal is theirs just like their own pet until it is rehomed.

Many do get put off with homechecks but they are intended to be for the animals benifit. There are many loving homes waiting animals but when rescues are contacted they are usually contacted by complete strangers so it is understandable that they need to learn some more about you and the home you have to offer. Try not to let it put you off, there are lots of adorable cats and kittens in rescue needing homes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CookieCat

Home checks are carried out for a variety of reasons by KITTEN ADOPTION.
    1.To show a human face to the potential adopter and offer support and continuos back up. Most people appreciate that we are not just here to "home " Kittens and cats, but each person should they need it has personal back up 24/7 regarding any aspects of their kittens/cats development.
    2.As stated above not everyone want's a kitten/cat for legitimate caring reasons but may come across as very plausible via the phone.
    3. To match the right cat to the right home environment, thus ensuring the cat/kitten does not come bouncing back the next week as the home/kitten/cat was misplaced.
    4. Not everyone has owned a kitten/before and we find they appreciate the human face of welfare/rescue. There are many things folks have just not thought about regarding owning a kitten.
    Kittens and all cats need to shed their claw sheaths...They need a scratching post.Not everyone thinks about a simple thing like that.
    Kittens have an extended claw reflex till they are about 4-5 months old. So again a simple thing like picking a kitten up properly is important, especially if there are children in the family.
    Tumble driers, chimneys any dark nook and crannies kittens will hide, and with a home visit you can spot potential problem areas.

There are many,many other reasons such as busy main roads, unfriendly dogs living next door, all this can be spotted and discussed by a home check.
    And primarily to raise awareness and the status of Ireland cats and kittens.
    And we don't have a problem re-homing our kittens to home checked homes.
    And not many come bouncing back. 2 this year due to allergy.

Many of kitten adoptions kittens have hellish starts in life they are all treated with love and the best of care. They are all VET CHECKED and vaccinated before re-homing, many have been hand reared form birth. (Which means eejit's like me getting up every 2 hours round the clock to feed them and thus keeping them alive)
    Please do consider why a home check is important.
    Also if you don't mind me saying, I would have reservations about giving out a kitten as a surprise and I know Jan who runs kitten adoption would not re home a kitten in those circumstances unless she was sure your mother actually wanted another cat/kitten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Buy and sell > freebies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

I definately do not disagree with home checks, in fact I think they are an excellent idea, but none of the places I spoke with were willing to be flexible on how and when they are carried out. I actually picked up a beautiful sandy tabby yesterday who is in excellent health and the owner basically would not let her go until she was happy the kitten was going to be in capable hands, and she was absoutely delighted to give me the kitten in the end.
    My mam loves him, from the moment she saw him, as expected.
    We have decided to get 2 rather than one also, as mentioned above, they keep each other company, especially at night.
    Thanks for the replies tho guys,
    Cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Oh and cookie, incase you misunderstood, the actual new kitten wasnt the suprise, just the fact that I chose him without my mam around was. She was well aware we were getting a kitten but left it to me to get him as she doesnt drive and wanted to be suprsied some night when she came home from work. And she was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I think home checks are an excellent idea - I have 4 beautiful foster kittens at the moment, and would not be happy with them going to a home that was not home checked first, I was home checked previously & have home checked others and have had no problem with either.

AB03 good luck with your new addition to the family - hope you'll conside posting a photo so we get to see her :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

What exactly happens when you're homechecked anyway? Does someone come to your house and look around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I do them for dogs and you don't look around the house - I call the a home visit.
    Basically it is to check the people really live where they say they do - and I see it more as a basis to help people out with a 1st time dog - give advice on vaccinations / neutering and behaviour - A lot of rescue centres don't have the facility to sit down with people and answer all their queries so 10 - 15 mins before they get the dog is 100% beneficial on both sides.
    and to have a quick peek in the garden to make sure there are no obvious dangers to the dog and the fall isn't 3ft high and they are getting Rottie !

Have to say I've been asked by a few people do I need to see the bedrooms :D

Advertisement