Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extreme athlon tweaking

• 22-09-2001 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭

Have a athlon 1.4gb and want to tweak it as far as it can go.

Cooling is obviously paramount, looking at liquid (not gas..not that rich!!)

Reccomendations on extreme tweaks..coolers that will chill to room temperature @2gb!!

Is it possible, did you dare or did you burn?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Gerry

try www.procooling.com also the hardocp forums at www.hardforum.com for watercooling info. Perhaps www.overclockers.com also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Tom's Hardware did a guide on building your own water cooler which looks sweet and works better than the solid state/fan ones.

I thought it can go up to around 1.65GHz safely, but after that too much fux0ring and it'll get all jiggly with stability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Water cooling

You won't get a 1.4 stable at 2 but go ahead and try.. be interested to see what you get out of it.

What's your stepping code and week?

.logic.

You could also rig up a Peltier. Which I think I'm going to have a go at. It looks like fun ;)

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Hi,

Finally we have a cool board! :D

I rigged up a 156W Peltier and a Water Cooler to a 1.33GHz TBird. Got it upto 1.7GHZ and then ran into PSU problems (the 5v Line wasnt high enough). I was using an Epox 8K7a, fast board, but has known Voltage regulation problems and only works properly with some PSUs.

I aslo tested without a the Peltier, and my CPU load temps were lower! I was warned about this tho, the 156W Peltier isnt strong enough to disipate the heat at that high a speed. Ill save my Peltier for a future CPU (ie .13 Micron P4).

I have read about how someone got a Tbird upto 1.8GHz, using only Watercooling too.

I buy all my gear from overclockershideout.com, very fast postage (was 2 days before WTC), make all there own stuff, excellent build quality.

Matt

• Advertisement

Yeah trouble with peltiers is dissapating the heat generated from the flip side. I hear it's usually best to direct vent them out of the case using some tubing. That way the heat doesn't serve to raise ambient temps inside the case.

Excellant link by the way. I hadn't come across those people b4. tx ;)

.logic.

Advertisement