Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COM - In plain English

Options
  • 02-11-2005 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone tell me what COM is? And the differences with COM+ are?
    Also in this company I just joined they use ASP but they use COM too.
    Ive only ever used .asp files to connect to a database and that was fine.
    But why this COM layer? And whay a need for a registry (which they use)
    Thanks
    M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

mathie wrote:
    Hi

You've joined a company where COM is used, but you need to ask here what COM is? Can't you ask the developers in your company to explain it to you?
    Again, why not ask the developers why they use the design they use, rather than asking someone else why such a design might be used?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

mathie wrote:
    Hi
    Ive only ever used .asp files to connect to a database and that was fine.
    Thanks
    M

How did you use asp files to connect to the database? If you were using ADO or DAO (recordsets *hint hint*) then you've used COM already.

The registry - Wikipedia, is there anything it can't do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Evil Phil wrote:

Argh, set fire to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Evil Phil wrote:
    How did you use asp files to connect to the database? If you were using ADO or DAO (recordsets *hint hint*) then you've used COM already.

Am no it even make tea

COM is litarlly the object model you use all the time in VB6 (prob going to get shot for over simplifieng here)

It got replaced(ehm depreciated) in favour of the new fancy .Net Classes (they have some security due to bad press)

As for the windows reg. Windows reg thats again just a replacement for the .ini files with extra restrictions. (shot again in the head this time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

As we are in the mood to simplify:-

COM is a way that a library (a dll or activeX control) can advertise what functions (classes and methods etc.) it supports and what parameters these methods need.

COM+ does the same thing across a network connection...i.e. the library can reside on a different machine than the application calling it.

COM uses the registry to store an unique number (in the format {999999999999-9999-9999-9999} ) which uniquely identifies one interface - it then uses the registry to find the library that implements this interface and the entry points of the functions to use.

So if you write a program that uses a COM interface, the program goes to the registry and looks for the interface. If it finds it it then loads the dll into your program and looks after the rules about passing parameters to/from the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

Merrion wrote:
    COM+ does the same thing across a network connection...i.e. the library can reside on a different machine than the application calling it.

Minor correction - COM over the network is basically DCOM. COM+ is a system supported mechanism for hosting applications and it provides powerful application middle tier functionality such as queuing, transactions, pooling and event subscription.

COM+ should really be differentiated from COM since its more of a platform than an implementation standard - development with the COM+ platform is directly supported in .NET with the ServicedComponent class.

Advertisement