Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Removing A Windows Service

• 02-11-2005 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Recentely bought a retrospect Maxtor one touch II external hard drive, however I only use it now and again to back up the laptop.

I recently noticed that the sevice was killing me at startup so disabled the service but now at startup the icon is still in the system tray and its still active on the task list but the status is disabled in services. There is no option in the settings for the hard drive to disable auto startup.

Am I missing something,any help would be great,cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What service is that? Generally for most kind of drives software is not needed. I have an external DVD, Hard Drive and memory card reader and none of them needed extra software. Even the USB memory stick worked without installing any kind of drivers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

did it come with it's own drivers ?

I like autoruns to list what starts up.

also xp power toys can be used to turn off the autorun on the HDD (the opposite problem where it spend ages looking through your external drive looking for programs to run and images to show, just in case there are any new viruses or stuff :rolleyes: )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

to remove a service best to download resource kit utils

Instsrv.EXE MyService Remove

BTW: srvany.exe is an app that can be started as a service and then startup a normal app, so as to have it run as a service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Start>run "services.msc"

Sometimes there is information there that can help.

You can definately stop the services from there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

what os are you using? there is a chance that the icon is not a service but is running from the local user registry key or the all user startup folder. If you are using 98, xp or millenium you can click start >run and type msconfig. In the startup tab disable the process by name. If you are using nt or 2000 you may have to manually edit the registry, let me know if you need help doing this.

• Advertisement

azzeretti wrote:
    If you are using nt or 2000 you may have to manually edit the registry, let me know if you need help doing this.
    or use AutoRuns from www.sysinternals.com

Advertisement