Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking Newbi

• 23-09-2001 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

After reading an article on overclockin processors from Anandtech.com i have become very interested in over clocking my pc

I have a AMD 750 duron,192 ram,Ge Force2 mx,

Has any body overclocked a pc with similer spec?did it work?is it worth it?I very new to all this so my silly questions to you are quite important to me coz i dont wanna fry my mobo

thxs

GenX

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

What's the make and model of your motherboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

HardOCP have decent guides on first time overclocking (at least I think they do.....it's a pity they don't even remember what the OCP stands for, I think it was over clock something or other ehhehe).

As posted above, you need the exact EXACT specifications of the motherboard. You will need possibly the very latest BIOS update as well.

On top of that you will need to ensure that other hardware in your system can take an overclocked PCI bus especially. I remember before that cheapo modems as shipped with most Gateway/Dell/Compaq systems are not the durable sort. This is where buying quality components comes in.

So the first thing to do is to audit your whole system, and maybe anticipate where problems could arise.

As well as that, make sure you start looking into coolers. They say that it's only needed above 1GHz, but just to be on the safe side (and also you'll prob know at lot more by the end of it, reading up on o'clocking, cooling, etc., to know what to get).

Toms's Hardware recently did a dirty big cooler round up. It all depends on the mobo though. Have a look in your BIOS screens and look around for FSB settigns, or Voltage settings.

Also, Voodoo Extreme are always on the ball since the golden days of overclocking a Voodoo. They have IRC channels and largeish boards to ask questions on.

http://www.hardocp.com
    http://www.tomshardware.com
    http://www.voodooextreme.com

VE are doing some redesign at the moment though. They say they are back on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The ideal overclock for yourself would be to run the motherboard fsb at 133mhz, giving a cpu speed of 1ghz ( 7.5 * 133 as opposed to your current 7.5 * 100 ). Or if your board can't run 133, then raise the multiplier. This may be available on your motherboard, even so it may require you to close the L1 bridges on your cpu. (not TOO difficult) If your board does not have multiplier adjustment, you may have to open some bridges and cut others. (much more difficult) Take a good look around on toms hardware anyway, and if you post up the exact model of your motherboard here we should be able to give you more detailed help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭GenX

Thanks very much for all the feedback lads!

Gerry would ya use a conductive pen to do that?

My mother board is a Chaintech CT-7AIV3?

GenX

after a quick look at the website www.chaintech.com.tx i found a bit more info

µATX 133MHz VIA KT133 with nVIDIA Vanta 2D/3D chipset

not forgettin i have got rid of on board gfx and sound card

• Advertisement

sorry lads but topic started off well but no feed back since?

ne help?

Thanks

GenX

Yes, you use a conductive pen. You won't be able to overclock your machine much without changing the l1 bridges, since your motherboard will probabIy not go over 110 fsb. I had a long reply typed out to this in a cybercafe and the machine crashed. I'll give it a proper reply when I get home.

Thanks Gerry, Ill have to change me voltage aswell with the pen
    The default is 1.60v on 750 Durons (could be wrong) ill probably have to knock it up to 1.75v ,right?
    I was told do that the 750 Durons and Atlons have a 7.5x hard coded multiplier which ,makes 100 mhz FSB perfect for overclocking it to about 1 gig?

Dont hold me to this info!

GenX

got sum more info on the boardhttp://www.viatech.com/jsp/en/products/apollo/kt133a.jsp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by GenX
    Thanks Gerry, Ill have to change me voltage aswell with the pen
    The default is 1.60v on 750 Durons (could be wrong) ill probably have to knock it up to 1.75v ,right?
    I was told do that the 750 Durons and Atlons have a 7.5x hard coded multiplier which ,makes 100 mhz FSB perfect for overclocking it to about 1 gig?

Dont hold me to this info!

GenX

You can put the voltage up to the max 1.85 if you are experiencing lock ups etc, this is not dangerous once your cooler is at least half decent. The duron once unlocked should do the 10x multiplier and possibly higher with small fsb increments.

• Advertisement

erm Genx, it would be nice if you actually read my posts before jumping in with stupid questions which I have already answered. Yes, your chip does have a multiplier of 7.5, and this makes the chip ideal for clocking to a gig with just an fsb change. BUT as I have already said, your motherboard will not go to 133mhz fsb, as it is a KT133 based board. Unless it is a KT133A, in which case you could do that. You seem uncertain as to whether it is a KT133 or KT133A based board. Makes a big difference. So presuming its not an 'A' board, you have to change the multiplier and probably the voltage as well. If it is a KT133A you are still gonna have to up the voltage, more than likely.

Heres a direct link to all the settings:

http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q3/000711/index.ht

Thanks Gerry, im new to all this so excuse me ignorance. Can u recommand ne good tools to find out the wot the mobo is?

Wot about cooling?

GenX

Has ne one done this type of thing with success?

/me worries about squashing or frying his mobo

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

what do you mean cut bridges etc, ????????????? The easiest way is get your jumper settings and change the jumpers for a multiplier increase of upto about 1ghz, where did you get your puter simon, you may have to buy a new fan, and maybe a case 1 too or if you have good bios just change those settings for a higher multiplier don't over clock your fsb, it means your ram is overclocked too.

It was put put together for me low budget

From wot i have heard the best way is to close the bridges so stick with that.

afaik SOL, his board does not have multiplier adjustment, so it doesn't have those jumpers you mention. Only recently has multiplier adjustment become widespread. It is still very rare on oem boards, which is pretty much what chaintech are, although they have started to cater more to the overclocker now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

If anyone would like to run an overclocking class I'd pay £50 and attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ahhh... but you would you really???? :confused: (pay to learn about overclocking)..

Matt

ok, email me so. newfoundwealth@hotmail.com

Advertisement