Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver Issue

• 02-11-2005 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all,

Just looking some advice.

I ordered UTV Clicksilver 2MB broadband on 5th October, they gave me an estimated activation date of 25th October (bit lengthy but I thought it would be okay because it looks like a nice deal with the free uk&ie calls).

To cut a long story short they didn't get an update from eircom about the line activation until yesterday when they were told it was rejected. They were not given a reason and are apparently looking into it and will get back to me.

I have been calm and collected over the phone however it really is frustrating, my line passes the standard tests and I even phone eircom today to have them check it again (it passed, of course). I need broadband as soon as possible as I do some web design from home, I have been looking at Smart Telecom and Digiweb DSL.

I really don't want to go for a wireless system (IBB barely connected for the 30 mins I had it , 3kb/s download rate) and I also play a lot of games online and want to have a decent ping to UK.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do (unfortunately NTL isn't in my area either so that option is out)

(For the record, I was talking to one of the broadband team from Eircom and they said that even if i got a new telephone line at €130 it wouldn't be broadband guaranteed and if I was to get it i would not get a refund if i cancelled. Bit of a scam tbh)

So, if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I don't want to phone UTV again asking for another update - they blatently know nothing.

Thanks,
    Eoin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If your existing line passes then there's no need to install another.
    Was there ever BB on the line before (free trial or whatever)?
    If not then a rejected order is probably because of a f**k up in the paperwork somewhere along the line.
    Ring UTV and demand a satisfactory update. If you don't get one tell them you want to cancel the order. Then order of BT. You can be sure there would be no problem if you ordered direct from Eircom.
    Good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kiazoe

I'm living in an appartment - moved in a little over 2 months ago so i'm not sure if there was broadband on the line previously. However the telephone line was disconnected and we needed an eircom engineer out to get it reconnected, so i'm assuming any broadband which might have on the line would also be disconnected.

I'll phone utv in a bit and see if i can get anything out of them.

Thanks
    Eoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kiazoe

Just talked to one of the tech support guys from UTV (why they gave me this number i don't know)...they can't give me any information about why the account has been rejected because they don't have any apparently. He has someone from the 'orders team' looking into it and says he will get back to me as soon as he hears something back. He can't give a date on this because it's eircom.

It's really pissing me off that it has to be done through eircom and there's no way for me to speed things up.

My problem is that if i go with another dsl company this might happen again and i might end up waiting another month. (I can't afford to get a 12 month contract as i'm here as a 1 year student intern which is another reason why utv appeals to me).

Guess i'll have to continue watching television as a form of entertainment :(

Eoin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I had UTV for well over a year and ended up being pretty frustrated.... I've just switched to Digiweb and it's being a very good experience so far. I was paying €30 a month to UTV, for a 1Mbps down/8GB cap product, whereas with Digiweb, I'm paying €42 for a 2Mbps down/40GB cap product. Digiweb was very helpful, they cancelled UTV for me, transferred my DSL over and did it all in just over a week. I e-mailed them twice with various queries and got answers within a single working day - they are very friendly on the phone too. Overall, I was quite pleased with the transition and the service received during the process, so maybe you can look them up. I am on their DSL product BTW, not Metro...

As a sidenote, I was thinking of going to BT originally. Called them 3 days straight, was always put on hold, never got a callback (you can leave your number), e-mailed them and got a reply 2.5 weeks later (?!) that they will ask a sales rep to contact me (this is after I e-mailed the SALES department!)... Nobody from sales has yet to get back to me - not that I care any longer, but if this how they treat a potential sale, I can't even imagine what support, etc would be like.... Just my 2 cents....

Advertisement