Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bf2 Laptop : suggestions please

Options
  • 02-11-2005 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Am interested in a laptop that can handle bf2.I A 128mb gfx card is minimum right ? Ton's of ram (1gb)... don't know if such a device exists ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

course they do. But is it worth spending 3 grand on something that will depreciate so quickly. ie is BF2 worth 50 euro plus 3 grand for a year's playing of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I saw one in Dixon's a sony vaio fs285h for about 1500 should do the job

hoff.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Eh you could get a dell XPS system which would last you about 2 years but would cost a fortune...

Most laptops don't have graphics cards but make sure you have 1 gig of ram. 128 graphics card, if your going to spend 3k then you should get a brill graphics card, 256 I would say. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

does it have to be a laptop? for the price you'd pay for a decent laptop you could build a great a system.

You can get latops with 2gbs of ram, 6800 (prob 7800) cards now, athlon 64s, pentiums, whatever ya want. But you will pay for them.

Remember laptops arent as upgradable as a pc, you can usually swap out gfx cards in the higher models, and maybe add more ram (if you havent already used all the slots) and a new HDD.

Build yourself a PC, dont go to dell or alienware, save loads of money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Dell Xps m170
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/xps_m170?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

now thats a bang for your buck Alienware a close second

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

DannyD wrote:
    Am interested in a laptop that can handle bf2.I A 128mb gfx card is minimum right ? Ton's of ram (1gb)... don't know if such a device exists ?

I have a Vaio A417. It has 256MB X600 and I added an extra GB of RAM (max is 2GB). HD is 80MB.

I got rid of my desktop. It's much nicer, plays BF2 well - not superbly - just well. I am glad to be free of upgrade hell every year blowing €500+ on more RAM or video, etc., . You play the game more and spend less time patching every goddamn driver for your mobo, HD whatever.

Price for that Vaio was €2049. Plays well on medium settings in widescreen (1440x900) on 17" screen (X Black). My personal feeling is that the top of line systems are nice, but who cares really? So there is a little nicer shadows, etc., ? Playing the game is what makes it good, not maxxing out gfx every time just to show off a large investment for one game.

Yeah it can only upgrade the HD and RAM, but not having that niggling feeling to keep patching and installing latest Catalysts/Omegas endlessly is great. Sony have their own update and patch system which is mor eor less automated.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    course they do. But is it worth spending 3 grand on something that will depreciate so quickly. ie is BF2 worth 50 euro plus 3 grand for a year's playing of it?
    I asked for laptop suggestions, not why I should buy a laptop, not how I should spend my money. Thanks for the suggestions everyone else.

Eh... mate i'm sure you are going OTT on this... he was trying to help ya, but if your going to be so snotty don't expect as much help in the future...

People are never happy are they???

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Some Folk eh!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Insprion with 128Mb X300 and 1gb of ram plays it quite nicely.

Only €800ish

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I play BF2 on my laptop.

Acer Aspire 5024WLMi

Turion 64 at 1.8Ghz
    15.4 Ultrabrite screen
    ATI X700 128Mb VRAM
    1Gb DDR RAM
    100Gb HDD
    Dual-layer DVD burner
    wifi

I can play BF2 on medium, AA at x2 with FPS at about 45.

I bought it in France for €1300 but can't say how much it would cost in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Eh... mate i'm sure you are going OTT on this... he was trying to help ya, but if your going to be so snotty don't expect as much help in the future...

People are never happy are they???
    Stop trolling and stay on topic please.

Trolling? what it this?

Tell me where you can get a laptop with a graphics card for €800. Have you got a link Kdjac???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

www.dell.ie

Inspiron with 1gb and x300 mate got one for 7ish with 64mb x300 it struggled with bf2. Her bro got the 128mb and it runs it fine.

kdjac

Advertisement