Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax to pay on gift of property??

• 02-11-2005 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on this.

If someone is given a gift of property by a living relative, the property in question being a small site with an old run down house on it, what fees, tax etc would they have to pay???

Is it CGT, Inheritance tax, or gift tax and at what level??

Its all a bit confusing and want to clear it up in my own mind before making any professional enquiries.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

CAT (capital acquisitions tax) is the relevant tax. From parents to children there are quite generous allowances, for other relations a more modest allowance and for strangers (including common-law partners, girlfriends, friends, etc) it is much more modest. After that you pay 20%.

There may be stamp duty involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭ck1

There may be stamp duty involved.[/QUOTE]

Stamp Duty is payable unfortunately, however it is at a rate of 1/2 the normal rate applicable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Get the answer straight from the horse's mouth - ring the Revenue Commissioners. They have been very helpful whenever I've called.
    The answer is probably on the site somewhere - there is a search feature available.
    Stamp Duty
    To make general enquiries about stamp duty: Lo-Call 1890 48 25 82

Capital Acquisitions Tax (CAT)
    To make general enquiries about CAT: Lo-Call 1890 20 11 04

Advertisement