Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid rogue tradesmen and high costs

Options
  • 02-11-2005 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

You may be interested in this site.

<link edited out>

I used it because it said it only used members of the National Guild, all of whom are accredited/vetted. It's free,I think they charge the tradesmen, and you even get a start date from each of the tradesmen that respond.
    You can compare the quotes that they come back with as well, so you
    won't get ripped off.

Worth looking at, it takes a bit of time to use but it saved me a rake of phone calls and I got a tiler who is doing my bathroom. Good luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

thread undeleted.

not advertising, but more an information tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Isn't it interesting to note that Ldet backwards reads as Ted L, and the registered owner of onlinetradesmen.com is one Ted Laverty, according to whois. Pure co-incidence, I'd imagine.

And that fact that this is a first time poster on boards who is so extremely enthusiastic about this service that all of his initial posts are solely dedicated to extolling the virtues of the new service is just another huge coincidence - right?

Or else this is just thinly veiled advertising spam and should be avoided like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ok, my bad.

i didnt do an in depth look into the site, and on a second look, i see it is a private company.
    at first glance i thought it was an open information site.

thread edited to reflect.

/me wanders off to eat some humble pie....
    :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Also when you click on contact us on onlinetradesmen.com it just gives you an email address and no proper address.Never a good sign from a company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It would let me register as a plumber if I paid that guild shower . there is no standards based quality control like say reci for electricians. ANY COWBOY can register from what i can see .

therefore the site is meaningless , use local word of mouth instead .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

OK, I know I'm pulling up a really old thread here but the site is still going and I used it to get an idea for tradesmen available to do some carpentry/kitchen work as I don't know any lads locally.

I was always going to be wary of this website to be honest but I gave it a go anyway because it was free.

I got a few replies but to be honest with you, I didn't follow them up. Contrary to what the OP says, I did not get a start date from anyone, which makes sense because the tradesman would need to look at the work first!

Anyway, none of the tradesmen were rated by previous users so I'd say either they were not very good or the website is not used by many!

In the end I asked some friends and they were able to recommend a guy and we're starting next week.

A website like this will never work unless the tradesmen are actually involved in the ownership and success of it but if they are totally independent third parties just using the site then there is no duty of care and the website will become unreliable and a haven for cowboys who are now desperate for work these days.

Advertisement