Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMG, I cant believe this (IBB related)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Its times like this you wish you could somehow get in direct contact with him and ask him how he can lie so bold-facedly. IBB are the only ISP where contention is an issue over 90% of the time... Most people on ADSL have no problems reaching 2 meg speeds most of the time! Most people with IBB on boards (including me) have trouble reach 512kbps speeds 1/4 of the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Should this not be moved to the Humour forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

talk about pure sh1te, thats the no1 example of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Well he is technically the most qualified person to talk about the effect of contention on users...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

:eek: :eek: :eek: OH - MY - GOD !!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Who the hell is this guy? Where does he live? I would have punched the head off him if I had heard him say that! Is this a real article? Did that idiot actually say all that? I'm one of his so-called "business customers" and I NEVER get full speed! EVER! Plonker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

“Our big thing now is to build as dense a network as possible.”
    -Actual quote= "“Our big thing now is to build as dense a network as possible..starting with our staff.”

"Doody also said that the company expected to make a number of coverage announcements in March."
    - They'll finally confess?

bump this to Humour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Karoma wrote:
    “Our big thing now is to build as dense a network as possible.”
    -Actual quote= "“Our big thing now is to build as dense a network as possible..starting with our staff.”

"Doody also said that the company expected to make a number of coverage announcements in March."
    - They'll finally confess?

bump this to Humour
    It's funny cos it's true! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sudurban_blues

"Business users shouldn't be sold products on the basis of what speed the product can get up to,” he said. “They should be able to be given a guaranteed minimum speed that they can rely on."

I'd like to add my enthusiastic support to Mr. Doody's call. Perhaps he has some suggestions with regard to the sanctions, refunds, compensation and shut-up money issues that arise when a company is found to be in breach of its promises with regard to broadband. For aggrieved users, are class-action suits the right way to go, or would demonstrations outside of their premises be more effective?

This article should go into humour, but only because AFAIK there is no sado-masochist sub-forum.

sudurbanist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

What the guy is saying sounds reasonable to me. An ISP offering 2mb is really only giving you UP TO 2mb, and ask anyone with IrishISP test and you'll see that they never get it. It does make sense to stop advertising it this way because its misleading. If you've got 2mb download and contention of 40:1, the reality is you have no idea how good your broadband is going to be.

Naming the packages based on commited bandwidth would be better for the customers - like if I had 256k commited and 1meg at 40:1 then I would be much happier.

The only problem I have with the article is when he says “It's annoying for the rest of us.” when in reality IBB are by far the worst offenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Illkillya: Exactly. Mr Tooly is spot on - however, it's just the sheer hypocrisy that has everyone here attacking it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

He did say they were great for Busniess users. Apart from steph I havent heard any bad reports from Business users, perhaps they are not as contended as us homeys. New customrs always get a good connection for the 1st few weeks till it goes bad, perhaps they keep busnies on these GOOD connections. The thing that worries me is the average of 2000 enquires per month. They are still getting new customers faster than they are loosing their old customers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Contention ratios mean that broadband connections are shared by up to 40 different users, which dilutes the connection speed.

wtf, I have to say I don't know of any Business broadband packages with contention ratios of over 20:1
    From experience what he says is a load of bollox :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

It is somewhat humerous ok, it's just a pity we're the butt of the joke.
    At least we now have a point of reference when they raise contention as an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Doody claimed that Irish Broadband was receiving between 1,500 and 2,500 enquiries per month for its broadband products.
    Doody said that the company was in the middle of rolling out a number of base stations
    Doody also said that the company expected to make a number of coverage announcements in March.

Can we actually take someone called "Doody" seriously? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

doodee might have something to say about that :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

He did say they were great for Busniess users. Apart from steph I havent heard any bad reports from Business users, perhaps they are not as contended as us homeys. New customrs always get a good connection for the 1st few weeks till it goes bad, perhaps they keep busnies on these GOOD connections. The thing that worries me is the average of 2000 enquires per month. They are still getting new customers faster than they are loosing their old customers.

A group of friends of mine are on the 3MB business package and have been in the same amount of hell as everyone else for the last month at least. They're getting nowhere with their calls etc etc etc either so I don't think people with business connections are getting treated any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

IBB do offer a 1:1 connection to you know. I'm on the 2M Breeze package and I have no prolems with it. It is 2M, and i'm cnsistently getting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i think IBB works in its full potential

Thats when you install your CPE 2 foot from the transmitter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

halenger wrote:
    A group of friends of mine are on the 3MB business package and have been in the same amount of hell as everyone else for the last month at least. They're getting nowhere with their calls etc etc etc either so I don't think people with business connections are getting treated any better.

Well I supose Busniess users dont come her complaining they just get BB else where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Send your comments to feedback@tcm.ie

*edit: ok, just realised the article is from March. Although it still might still be useful for enough people to write to the paper complaining about IBB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I was a business customer. I have the 1Mb 8:1 connection. It was great for the first month or two, then crap for most of the 5 or 6 months following. So, no, I don't believe him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Paul Doody & Adrian Weckler .. and you're surprised the article is a load of toss?
    Paul as managing director of a laughably run company with the technical ability of an average FÁS computer starter course, and Adrian with a history of completely inacurate and ill-researched publishings.

Advertisement