Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleted posts and split threads.

Options
  • 02-11-2005 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a fair few times that users (or perhaps mods) have deleted posts to which other users have already replied. This leaves the replies looking as if they are talking to an 'imaginary friend,' and it kinda breaks up the flow of a thread.
    Can vBulletin be configured to leave a placemarker in place of the deleted post, perhaps detailing when and by whom the post was deleted?

Also, somewhat less frequently, I've been participating in a thread which has been split off into 2 or more threads. Could a similar placemarker be inserted automatically pointing to or naming the other 'new' thread?

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Karoma wrote:
    Use the Quote function when responding to someone..
    I do, when I'm commenting on something they've said.

Lots of people don't though, and that's the situation I'm referring to.
    It can often leave the thread looking disjointed, and sometimes it can even lead to misunderstandings and offence being taken when a comment or reply appears to be in reaction to the post preceding the one that got deleted.

Even replying with text quoted from a since deleted post isn't ideal, at the poster appears to be replying to something that never existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

indeed.
    if you have some underlying scizophrenic issues there's little that can be done (Try PI.)

Seriously, more often a Delete is used by a user to clean a thread or remove something after common sense kicked in..having a thread filled with "Deleted Post by x, at xx:xx" is pointless & would probably be abused to increase postcount.

RopeDrink wrote:
    Heck, why don't we remove the ability to remove posts TOTALLY from Boards.ie to save us from the 'miniscule' amount of trouble the above mentioned problem causes here for us.

It could work, people.

Not far enough. Erase user identities and/or memories too..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Karoma wrote:
    indeed.
    if you have some underlying scizophrenic issues there's little that can be done (Try PI.)

Seriously, more often a Delete is used by a user to clean a thread or remove something after common sense kicked in..having a thread filled with "Deleted Post by x, at xx:xx" is pointless & would probably be abused to increase postcount.
    Aha, I see what you did there!

RopeDrink wrote:
    You know, I was thinking more along the lines of simply nuking the site COMPLETELY from the internet and having people connect to it's former IP to just look at the big blistering hole left behind and just not be able to say anything about it.

Wouldn't have to worry about posts, posters or threads at all, then.

Do you post on stormfront by any chance? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

This is probably a vbulletin limitation. If they implement it, we'll use it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement