Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip hop's "sound boy" ...(?)

• 23-09-2001 4:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

So many hip hop tracks from the likes of the Fugees and Wyclef Jean refer to the death of a 'sound boy'... usually at the hands of the singing/rapping artist.

My question is simple... what the heck are they on about... who IS this "sound boy"?

e.g.:

Fugees: "Killing me softly" (alt. opening section)

Killing a sound boy with this song / Killing a sound boy ... with this song / Telling my whole life / with this sound... (etc.)

Whitney Houston on Wyclef Jean's "The Ecleftic" album

And the lord asked me what I did with my life / I would say / Wyclef murdered a sound boy

-- there are other examples- plenty of 'em, but it's late and I can't think of them right now. I'm curious as to the meaning, and curiosity is a killer...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Oops, you already made that point.

I'm not sure if it's a reference to someone at all :)

Advertisement