Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicking noise coming from my chain

Options
  • 02-11-2005 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

It only happens from 1st to 3rd gear when I'm lettin the clutch off. There's a horrible clicking noise and the bike stuters while its doing it. I'm not actuall ysure whether its the chain, the sprockets or what but its really concerning me. I changed the chain about a month ago but the problem has only started in the past week.

Anyone else ever had this problem?? Any help much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chain is slipping from the sprocket perhaps? This would certainly make a big noise, and would make the bike stutter.

Did you replace the chain and sprockets together, or just the chain? If the latter, when is the last time you replaced the sprockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Changed the chain and sprockets in June. Chain was then f*cked by end of September so just changed it on its own. The thing is that the chain doesnt look or feel loose on the sprocket at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

Check your front sprocket. You can do this without taking off the cover, just stick your finger up and under, and feel if it is badly worn. It is unlikely to slip on the back sprocket. Does the problem happen through the rev range or only when changing gear? If it is only when changing gear then it ain't chain/sprocket related - but if you get the loud clicking noise when u put the power on then it is likely your front sprocket....if so it will be more pronounced in lower gears.

Let us know how you get on

PS Your front sprocket can be shagged, but you won't notice any looseness in your chain!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Spogpean wrote:
    Changed the chain and sprockets in June. Chain was then f*cked by end of September so just changed it on its own.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Unless you're doing something crazy like 5000 miles a month, something's seriously wrong here. With proper care a good o-ring or x-ring chain and sprocket set can last 20,000 miles or more. Plenty more again if you use a Scottoiler.

What are you using to lube the chain, and how often? The lube needs to go in the gap between the sideplates, not on the rollers. You can use gear oil but spray on sticky chain lube is better. You'll need to do this whenever the chain looks dry, depending on the weather this could be every few days or every few weeks.

Also it's important to adjust the chain correctly, lots of people overtighten it which doesn't do the chain any good. Worse, it can wear out your gearbox shaft bearing which is an engine strip to replace!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Its f*cked up. I loosened the chain last week and all was well and dandy but the noise has started again. Its wrecking my head!!

BTW I spray Castrol Chain Wax on my chain every 300 km, which is about once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

You *loosened* the chain?

Chains loosen when they wear, not tighten, so I reckon your chain was overtight to begin with and has now got a tight spot in it. I would suggest that you just go to a (decent) mechanic and explain whats going on, and let him ride it to see. I guess the chain and sprockets need to be replaced. Is there any chance you adjusted the chain incorrectly - i.e. the left side more than the right or something? Is the chain slapping part of the running gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

It sounds like you changed the chain and not the sprockets and it's slipping because they're warn sharp. I happened to me on the front sprocket before, the chain doesn't usually out last the sprokets from my experience

Got it fixed for good now lads. The rear wheel wasn't alligned properly as the threads on the adjusting screws were f*cked. 2 new screws and everything's fine and dandy!!

Advertisement