Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Constatntly Losing Connection

• 02-11-2005 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have many or any of you found that your eircom broadband keeps losing the connection! Another guy i work with has also had this problem!! When i rang eircom about it, i was told they cant do anything becasue i didnt buy their (highly overpriced at the time) modem. i have a belkin router!

Does anyone else have this problem! Sometimes the connection comes back in about a minute, sometimes i have to power of the pc before it comes back!

cheers,
    ronan001

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

how are you connecting to the router? model of the router..?
    how often does it happen?
    how many clients are connected to the router? do they all suffer a drop at the same time?
    what exchange? is your friend on the same exchange?

for now,uh.. disable power saving schemes on what network card you're using (Provided it's a net. card..)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

i have the router connected to the ethernet port on my pc's motherboard!! he could be on the same exchnage, i've no idea what way that works! he lives about 5 minute drive from my house?????

It happens most times i log on, very seldom does it not happen! i have a belkin 802.11g wireless router! i havnt plugged any other second machine into it yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Have the same problem, only i dont really give a crap anymore. Ive updated the firmware and reset the router manually. I have a Netopia BTW. DSL sync light comes on and goes off whenever it thinks it nesassary. When it comes on it stays on though and thats why i dont care much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

My sister recently tried a broadband package from Eircom. She previously had their dual line package as she wanted to recieve phone calls whilst online. So after waiting for three months for them to come and disconnect her existing service and install the broadband for her, a guy came. She doesn't have much computer knowledge and asked him if he would install the software as her pc is windows 98 second edition. He refused to do this saying it wasn't his job. However he did stick the USB connection into the back of her pc, making it impossible to install the software for someone who didn't realise the the software had to be installed first, before inserting the USB lead. After two weeks of not being able to get it working she called me to have a look at it and eventually I got it working, but it kept losing the connection after a minute or so. So after another week ringing them they told her that the pc wasn't up to it and she'd need to buy a new one. They also told her that when someone gets broadband they should be able to connect it themselves.
    Surely if it were possibly to connect to the service at all, the pc must be okay. I would have thought that if it wasn't, she would not have been able to use broadband full stop, not get it for a minute then get cut off.
    I think Eircom must surely provide the worst customer service in the world. They only want peoples money and won't make any effort to provide what they're being paid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Guys, what package are you lot on? I was fixing up a PC tonight and the broadband connection kept dropping and I was baffled for about an hour until I copped on that yer man had ordered Eircom Broadband Time (€19.99/month option), which means you have to logon to your modem and click 'connect' each time you want to get on the web and then 'disconnect' when you're done as you're only paying for 20 hours. And there was me messing around with firewall settings etc. :o

• Advertisement

That's the very same ridiculous package my sister signed up for. Surely one should be able to stay connected for more than one minute at a time though.
    I wonder if there is a dial up charge each time one connects? It wouldn't surprise me if there were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

If you bought into eircoms scam of a "broadband" package the modem eircom send out is timed to disconnect after like 3 minutes of inactivity. Thats why you disconnect so often.

You could modify the idle settings in the router config but don't you'll eat your 20 hours in no time.

Thanks for that info Tim Tim, it all makes sense to me now. I have persuaded the sister to switch her account to BT. I've been connected to BT 24/7 for the last two years and have never been cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

hi guys, thanks for the replies, but i wish it was that simple for me! both myself and the guy i work with are availing of the dual line 45 euro a month, 16 GB download per month package and it keeps dropping. I think i'm gonna have to ring them and just go F**kin nuts at this stage if it keeps happening.

A post above has also made me also point that sometimes when i get phone calls to my house, sometimes but not always the broadband line drops, also sometimes but not always when a phone call is made outwards the line also drops! i cant understand why it doesnt always happen?? this has really confused me? i'm gonna start takin note of which phone numbers, ringing in and out, and times it happens

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I had this problem also, business starter package.
    Netopia router at fault, upgraded the firmware, still happening, got replacement netopia and now all fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

A belkin router your say...friend had exact same issue...upgraded firmware sorted it.

Advertisement