Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for ordering Broadband.....

• 02-11-2005 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,

As someone who has been through the BB mill. Just connected yesterday after a month and a half.

Why dont those of us who have been through it share some insights with those thinking of ordering?

My tupence worth:

1. Order online if you can. Then check by phone the day after that all details are correct.

2. Tick the box that says you ARE a houseowner.

3. Give the Direct Debit info of a bank account you dont use. So you can lodge the money if the bills are correct.

4. Always keep a log of phone calls. Date, time, muppet name etc

5. NEVER use a Credit Card for paying anything to ANY Telco.

I'm not bitter.....

Fed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Why not use a Credit card for paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I wouldnt use a credit card as you cant "cancel" the direct debit like you can with a bank account. The telco can keep taking the money I would imagine if they want to and there would be bugger all you could about it bar querying the charge after it is made. Could be an issue if they are not providing you with the agreed service and dont sort it out to your satisfaction.

It is like paying your tv license with a credit card. You think you are paying only once but they then take the license fee every year from the same credit card without informing you even though you may not want to pay it that way...or at all :)
    It is probably in the tiny print somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Also my tip:
    Avoid Irish boradband at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭Tonio

Also avoid Digiweb - at least their wireless product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

My input would be that Eircom are great until you have a problem, then they simply won't care.

Remember, all the telcos in Ireland are pretty much bad, and evil. Don't expect anything positive, that way you'll be happily surprised when something good happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Tonio wrote:
    Also avoid Digiweb - at least their wireless product

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Big TIp:- avoid all wireless ISP from what I've heard on BOards !!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ludo wrote:
    It is like paying your tv license with a credit card. You think you are paying only once but they then take the license fee every year from the same credit card without informing you even though you may not want to pay it that way...or at all :)

Not true, I paid the second last TV license by CC and now I've gotten anthoer bill for it this year, but I wasn't made to pay by CC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Most replyies have been negative. Would anyone actually reccommend a provider/package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭Tonio

Because they left me without any service for the past 6 months. They claim that all customers need to be upgraded and when I asked them when they could do it the answer is always "in the next 2 weeks". Six months on and I have given up on them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be perfectly honest, I'm sure if you go around to every ISP in Ireland you'll get people saying "avoid them at all costs", yes it sucks that some ISP's f*ckup good and proper but it happens.

I think BT's Business DSL is great dispite having ongoing billing issues for the past few months, so basically you use any ISP in Ireland at your own risk.

Every company no matter what sector have customers that have had good & bad experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

bk wrote:
    Not true, I paid the second last TV license by CC and now I've gotten anthoer bill for it this year, but I wasn't made to pay by CC.

Maybe they dont do it anymore then but they certainly did it to me before until the expiry date on my credit card changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

D wrote:
    Most replyies have been negative. Would anyone actually reccommend a provider/package?

www.u.tv/
    Clicksilver & telephony package.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

D wrote:

I'd rec NTL to all my buddies! (thats if you can get it) ;) I've 3mb with litle problems (bar a the beginnning)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

D wrote:
    ive been with eircom for nearly a year now and had no probs at all,(1mb) very happy with the service:D

Advertisement