Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Problem!! i cant be rang from some landlines

• 02-11-2005 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

Just awitched to meteor two days ago nad i have been having a problem being contacted by certain landlines.

Two landline numbers in particular cant ring me but i can ring them no problem ,When i was with Voda they could ring me and ive kept the same number but theve tried loads of times and they just get the engaged tone. Meteor have said its something wrong with there phones, jus wondering if anyone else has had this problem or anyone know why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Their landlines are probably out of coverage. Meteor has a limited network you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

LOL FX Meister :D

Is it just two landlines? Ask Meteor if those Landlines have been blocked on your account (for you to recieve calls from).

Also, ask the owners of the landlines to contact Eircom and get them to run a check.

I'd start there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

FX Meister wrote:
    Their landlines are probably out of coverage. Meteor has a limited network you know.

how can a landline possibly be out of coverage?

edit: or did i just not get the joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

You will have to ring meteor and get them to check your routing, its more than likely that you can't be contacted by either Eircom or Esat Landlines, hence some LL's can probably still ring you. Get them to test calling you from both types, Its someting to do with the way your call routing has ported to meteor but they will be able to fix it, happened me once as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

cheers all,

i rang them and they sorted it out, dont know or how they fixed it though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

This happened me when I ported from Vodafone to O2. People on BT Ireland lines couldnt' reach me and got a fast busy tone / invalid number announcement.

Basically porting your number relies on Intelligent Network services. i.e. in a modern phone network your number is just an electronic address. When you port, that address is assigned to another end point.

The public switching systems (your local telephone exchange) basically checks against a database so that it knows where to route your call.

If the databases they're working from arnt uptodate or synced up to the latest version your calls will be routed to the wrong destination. i.e. your old network

It's a bit like a DNS server on the internet. i.e. www.mysite.ie routes you to 199.999.9.9

Your telephone number's just the same as a www address in many ways.

Intelligent Network services are also used to provide services like 1800, 1890, 1850, 15XX numbers and some call forwarding service etc..

Advertisement