Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battle Royale

• 23-09-2001 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

Did anyone get a chance to see this during it's run in the IFC?

The film is set in Japan of the near future, and looseley based on Lord Of The Flies; basically an entire class of schoolkids are taken to a remote island, given weapons and told 'kill or be killed'. Only 1 can survive at the end.

Don't think we'll see a dvd or vhs release here, but keep an eye out for it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Nah missed it. You can buy it on VCD though from here
    there is a good review here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Due to the fact that Japenese kids have to go to school/grinds study etc for all but an hour or 2 of the evening i think alot would be glad of that fate.They say that they are becoming very violent cos of this crap existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Ive heard good things about it of course ,but the lack of an IFC theatre in Cork is right kick in the proverbials , Ive been on to the kino here in Cork but they seem pretty certain that they wont be getting it in :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Dang I missed it. Heard some very good things about it. Is that VCD crowd any good ? Are they secure ? I'd be more interested in a dvd version but if thats not available ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Saw it, loved it. Incredibly quirky. You'll spend alot of the film laughing in disbelief at alot of the stuff that goes on.

I'd say a DVD wont be long in coming, seeing as how Tartan got .Ring into the shops so soon after its IFC release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not sure, but I think it is on this week as well. See http://entertainment.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

ahhh the Battle Royale. well, myself, blam and his friend (lets call him FreezeQuake) went to see it last Friday followed by some lan thingy in temple bar. it was one of the best entertaining movies i've seen recently. its got everything, subtitles, guns, lots of ways of killing a person, blood, cute japanese girls and some crazy ass violence. the movie was so good that i even played some great CS and Quake at the lan which we went to. if you are going to see it, except to be excited and happy and very disturbed.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's out now on DVD for anyone interested - saw it last night, thought it was excellent. I want to know who that girl in the training video at the start is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Don't think we'll see a dvd or vhs release here, but keep an eye out for it

seen it on DVD on sale in HMV about a month ago, €28.99

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Play247.com have it for £14.99 sterling.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=98274

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Rented it from ChartBusters a fortnight ago. Great movie......

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Bought it on DVD last week in HMV, nice and entertaining. The teacher is a nasty piece of work. Reminded me of the bad ole days of catholic brother schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

you can get it on dvd in forbidden planet on the quays. classic movie. i cracked up laughing at the end bit where yer man is dead and his fone rings and he gets up and answers it and says he won't be home anymore then just dies again. lol! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I want to know who that girl in the training video at the start is

Yuko Miyamura - she's a pretty well-known voice actress, although I haven't seen her in live action movies before.

She played Asuka in Neon Genesis Evangelion, for anyone wondering where they've heard those somewhat insane tones before... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

evangelion rules! :)

just watched nearly all of it this week i only have the last 2(4) eps to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

battle royale my favourite film
    get it at www.blackstar.co.uk or www.play.com
    they are numerous versions of the dvd out, i d wait a while before buying as there is a new gold edition dvd due out in the usa pretty soon with 25 mins of deleted scenes and extras compared to the lame ones on the dvd available right now.

i think i payed about £20 for the dvd about a year ago, well worth it. You wont be disapointed

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

yea i saw it! its a cool film, the teacher is one of those guys whos weird! have you heard of teckechies castle in japan! he owns it! he was also in brother that was good aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Disturbing, yet very good. Though I wouldn't put it up there with Ring, it was really good.

Once the first one dies (anyone that's seen it will remember this whole scene, where the story kicks off), you're sat in disbelief at what just happened. Crazy I tell you!

It's out on DVD here, but get it from Play instead.

Advertisement