Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Credit Card Terminals over broadband: Avoiding transaction delays

• 02-11-2005 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

I was wondering, do any of the Irish banks provide credit card machines that use a broadband connection?

We have three Alphyra machines sharing one phone line. There're often cut ins and long delays with this configuration as you can imagine. Not to mention the time it takes to dial in and authorise on a clear line.

Any solutions? A few years ago, Eircom convinced someone in the company to get "Hi-Speed" installed. They did: Affecting nothing but our outgoings.
    Oh dear! I was fuming..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

From a tech point of view it would be completely possible. The only problem is building such a device. The Alphyre machines arent built to use DSL connections and and hence wouldnt work on i DSL line. A major reason they are Dial-Up is because the devices can be built cheaper and smaller as well as hassle free set-up, Most devices do work on Dial up and High Speed Connectios but still line quality is the biggest factor here. Alphyre are in the pipe line of upgrading a lot of their devices to new models. A friend of mine works in a store with the new device and it just runs on a normal Eircom DSL Line with no delays.

As a temp fix to your problem your current alphyre machine can be configured to "store" up to 3 Credit Numbers for each network. So when you for example go to print a 10euro Meteor Voucher it will print instantly as the voucher number will already be stored in the device.... Then when the device is left idle it will Dial-Up and order more voucher numbers. Alphyre normally dont do this unless you ask over and over again. The device can do this regardless of what they say.

Good Luck anyway, it just a matter of time till Alphrye start to roll out their new devices.

Advertisement