Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Laser Detector

Options
  • 02-11-2005 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Uncle is buying a m5 and its his birthday, he lives in the Uk, anyway i want to buy him a Speed Cam detector but have no idea what kinda one, Cheap but good one...Ebay have loads but dont no if there any good can someone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭BME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Does anyone on boards have/use one of them particular detectors linked above?
    I might be interested in one. They detect radar and laser handhelds, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

They are illegal in Ireland. Hefty fine and/or court appearance if caught with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Sure they`d be hard enough to get caught. They give you plenty of warning, and i`d only be using it on long trips where covering unknown roads/checkpoints.
    Do they not just confiscate it as oppposed to stoopid court appearences? Doesnt really bother me anyway. I have friends in the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That says so much about what is wrong with this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

I know someone who's got a "Beltronics Euro" Radar detector and "twin blinder" laser jammer setup in an M5. He's a really cool bastard and's got friends in high places too, but their patience is running thin at this stage.. :D 90% of those detectors ( particularly cobra/uniden/whistler and most of that other muck typically on sale for €40 in Majorca etc. ) just doesn't work.

Visit Autoexpress.co.uk for some independent reviews (they're not illegal to use in the UK) and you'll find Bell / Valentine 1 are the best on the market, the V1 being designed primarily for LHD american) cars though.

I vaguely remember a wireless (645i? sounded similar to a bmw) belltronics costing around €700 that would be cool for that (new V10?) M5. He might wanna get laser jammers for the rear window aswell. For adequate protection at typically insane speeds he's looking at around €1300 for the latest kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Given that lasers are line of sight, extremely focused and quite obviously work at the speed of light, if your detector picks one up, you're already caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I dont think there worth the cash tbh unless your going to be spending big bucks on one eg a Bel v1.

I had a loan of a uniden one awhile ago and gave it back after a day it was that crap.Even in city mode it would constantly keep beeping at traffic lights and the one time i drove by a speedcheck it didnt start beeping untill i was in line of sight of the checkpoint,if i had have been above the limit i would have been well caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Im no scientist, but on that website the guy refers to the BTST detector picking up particles of radar scatter. This would lead me to believe that the basis for this thing working is at best, dubious. Listen up, here comes the science bit etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I don't think the detectors are illegal. The jammers are though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Sparks400 wrote:

That would be the law on the mainland. We stopped recognising their laws as our own back in 1921.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

testicle wrote:
    That would be the law on the mainland. We stopped recognising their laws as our own back in 1921.

Pull yer reins in testy, I said "I don't think they're illegal"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The jammers are illegal here. They are by all accounts also quite effective. They work by sending a beam back to the speed detector for a short period of time whils giving you a warning. During this time the operator receives an error and you should be slowing down. After a period the jammer allows the detector to get a lock. By this time you are supposed to have slowed down.

There was some hassle a few months back (maybe longer) when there was a Northie guy trying to sell them down here.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

testicle wrote:

Although until recently the law banning the use of detectors in Ireland was the same law the English had used to ban detectors (until it was challanged in court) - an 1840's Telegraphs Act. So we we happily recognising British law (and there are many more examples of British law still on the Irish books I'm sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Although until recently the law banning the use of detectors in Ireland was the same law the English had used to ban detectors (until it was challanged in court) - an 1840's Telegraphs Act. So we we happily recognising British law (and there are many more examples of British law still on the Irish books I'm sure).
    Yeah, it was some law that prohibited "intercepting wireless transmissions" or such like, until it was pointed out that the transmissions in question contained no information as such, and couldn't therefore be "intercepted".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sparks400 wrote:
    from http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland.html
    Rules

It is an offence for anyone to use a speed meter detector in any vehicle in Ireland under the Road Traffic (Speed Meter Detectors) Regulations, 1991. Under this legislation, it is also an offence to import, fit and supply speed meter detectors and jammers.

The Gardai are empowered to seize this equipment if it is found in your vehicle or in your possession under the Customs Consolidation Act, 1876.

You can't have a speed detector or jammer. This I presume also then refers to Sat Nav software which informs you of fixed Gatsos
    "3. In these Regulations, "speed meter detector" means any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of, or to frustrate the operation of, electronic or other apparatus being used to give indications from which the speed at which a person was driving can be inferred."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭BME

killjoy :p

BME wrote:
    killjoy :p
    Don't shoot the messenger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This I presume also then refers to Sat Nav software which informs you of fixed Gatsos
    "3. In these Regulations, "speed meter detector" means any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of, or to frustrate the operation of, electronic or other apparatus being used to give indications from which the speed at which a person was driving can be inferred."
    If that's the case they'd better outlaw paper maps with the locations drawn in by hand too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi

getting back to the original question. Lived in the US for the past 8 years there is only one detector to get the 'Valentine One' nothing comes close. But there not cheap. Just read the reviews online.

Garyh3

• Advertisement

What's the penalty under that there Road Traffic Act? (bearing in mind that judge who threw out a load of cases for learners with no 'L' platre as there's no penalty set in law)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I, umm, know a guy who had one he bought in New York (before he realised it was illegal) and it was the biggest pile of poo ever. As someone said, by the time it detects a signal from a laser, you have already been caught.

Also, you know those big signs on the road that tell you what speed you are doing (usually around road works)? Well, the detector didn't pick it up until after the speed has been displayed (the car was about level with the sign before the detector went off).

Absolute pile of shìte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

The USA uses different radar bands which is why most detectors dont work here.

www.radarbusters.com is a good site have a look at it.

As for fines i reckon a judge would go to town on you if you were caught with one - big difference between that and driving without your L plates up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ciaran007

I have a Beltronics Euro 550 Radar/Laser detector which cost €500 from a company up north run by a guy called Wayne Lyons, www.speedcameradefence.com. the unit works very well for me, good advance warning on fixed gatsos and laser traps, some false alarms when driving through built up areas but you know they're false because of the low reading. I'd recommend one, even for the peace of mind you get in case you tip 10kph or so over the limit, also I feel safer as my full attention is given to driving and not looking out intently for high vis jackets/mondeos/white/green transits/pan europeans all the time.........

Is it tucked away under the bonnet, or is there a big box on the dash?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Ciaran007 wrote:
    also I feel safer as my full attention is given to driving and not looking out intently for high vis jackets/mondeos/white/green transits/pan europeans all the time.........

well here's a novel idea so your not on the constant look out for vans and hi vis jackets

how about not being a complete idiot and DONT ****ing speed and make it safer for both yourself and everyone else on the road, the limits there for a reason, sooner you've all your penalty points and off the road the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ciaran007

It's a small black box that sits on the dash, it's around the same size as a box of 20 cigs,
    In answer to Raptors comment (or should I say assumption) I do not belive that travelling 10kph over the speed limit on a national road or motorway is a dangerous act, yet I have been unfortunate enough to have been caught and procecuted twice for that offence. I feel safer knowing that if i do waiver slightly over the speed limit (easily done) my chances of losing my licence are significantly less thanks to the detector.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

speeding is speeding whether on a national road or a city road, it's breaking the law,

it's not like your somekind of special case, if you speed you should pay, same way if i sped and was caught (regardless of if it's only 10kmh) over the limit, i would accept the fine / points

_raptor_ wrote:
    ...the limits there for a reason...

not disputing the don't speed and you won't get caught philosophy but the reason for the existence for many inappropriate speed limits is often a poor reason. Why is part of the M50 100kmph? It is quite safe to drive at the normal motorway limit there.
    Why is there some sections of NPR with a 100kmph limit when it is twisty with no shoulder?
    Why is there a 100kmph limit outside some schools (as reported in the media)?
    Why have speed ramps in areas with the 50kmph limit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

eireal wrote:
    The USA uses different radar bands which is why most detectors dont work here.

www.radarbusters.com is a good site have a look at it.

It did pick up the signal, just way too late. Lots of false alarms as well; everything from automatic doors, automatic gates etc.

Advertisement