Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Laser Detector

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ciaran007 wrote:
    It's a small black box that sits on the dash, it's around the same size as a box of 20 cigs,
    In answer to Raptors comment (or should I say assumption) I do not belive that travelling 10kph over the speed limit on a national road or motorway is a dangerous act, yet I have been unfortunate enough to have been caught and procecuted twice for that offence. I feel safer knowing that if i do waiver slightly over the speed limit (easily done) my chances of losing my licence are significantly less thanks to the detector.

I have heard a few stories about forum users getting caught by the authorities for boasting/discussing/broadcasting about their illegal activities.

Just a warning....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

speeding is speeding whether on a national road or a city road, it's breaking the law,

it's not like your somekind of special case, if you speed you should pay, same way if i sped and was caught (regardless of if it's only 10kmh) over the limit, i would accept the fine / points

Are you entering some kind of National Pomposity Competition or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

prospect wrote:
    I have heard a few stories about forum users getting caught by the authorities for boasting/discussing/broadcasting about their illegal activities.

Just a warning....
    Urban myth tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

magpie wrote:
    Are you entering some kind of National Pomposity Competition or something?

no I'm not being pompos, it's called obeying the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

As far as I know they aint worth the hassle of buying! They arent worth a cr€p. Save your money, its all about chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Am I correct in thinking that with the dash mounted ones (and maybe with others), the dirtier your windscreen their effectivness significantly decreases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

I dont think they are affected by dirt but they can easily be affected by other sources, eg radios, mobiles etc and loads of sources outside the car, that their chance of picking up the actual speed gun is much less likely.

They aint worth it!! I say it and other people I know have said it. Sur I mean why have them legal to buy? and illegal to own? To make money of course!
    I dont think they work! Sometimes they do but you get p*ssed off with them after a while coz they always beeping where there's no speedgun, or the dont beep when you spot the garda gun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Guys has anyone ever opened one of these up?, I have been thinking for a while that if you could mount the detectors externally, ie bumper, have the main pcb etc in your fuse box and the display on the dash and a switch to switch it all off, then its a case of "radar detector gard? I dont have one of them";)

Also and maybe someone will correct me here but if the gardai suspect you have one of these these they are entitled to search you car for it!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

kbannon wrote:
    from http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland.html

You can't have a speed detector or jammer. This I presume also then refers to Sat Nav software which informs you of fixed Gatsos
    "3. In these Regulations, "speed meter detector" means any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of, or to frustrate the operation of, electronic or other apparatus being used to give indications from which the speed at which a person was driving can be inferred."

At the moment we have so few fixed location cameras that the GPS units aren't worthwhile.
    When/if that changes I would say that law may well end up being successfully disputed in the higher courts if it is applied to GPS only devices.

Interestingly many senior British police officers have publicly approved of these devices (GPS not laser/radar detectors) on the grounds that speed cameras are (supposedly) placed in dangerous locations and anything that encourages drivers to slow down is a good thing.

John R wrote:
    Interestingly many senior British police officers have publicly approved of these devices (GPS not laser/radar detectors) on the grounds that speed cameras are (supposedly) placed in dangerous locations and anything that encourages drivers to slow down is a good thing.
    that is supposed to be the mentality. However, nobody told the authorities here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭BME

pred racer wrote:

Also and maybe someone will correct me here but if the gardai suspect you have one of these these they are entitled to search you car for it!:eek:

I'm quite sure they can search your car regardless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

BME wrote:
    I'm quite sure they can search your car regardless...
    Indeed they can, under the misuse of drugs act.

kbannon wrote:
    that is supposed to be the mentality. However, nobody told the authorities here!

Actually, when the website revealing the speed trap locations around ireland first came to light, a senior Gardai was interviewed on the RTE news and he was of the same opinion.
    If the website makes people slow down in the 'black spots' they don't mind!!!!!

Thought I'd throw in the new smiley :v: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I bought one in the States years ago (Cobra I think which now sits in an attic until the kids are grown up!) but it worked perfectly.
    Saved by bacon a couple of times, always on MOTORWAYS where the road surface is perfect etc so doing 140 instead of 120 is not that major a problem as against doing 50 in a 40 zone.
    The one thing I did notice was when you passed an electrical shop, microwaves in the window used to set it off!

prospect wrote:
    Actually, when the website revealing the speed trap locations around ireland first came to light, a senior Gardai was interviewed on the RTE news and he was of the same opinion.
    If the website makes people slow down in the 'black spots' they don't mind!!!!!

Thought I'd throw in the new smiley :v: :D

My recollection of the speedtraps.ie.nu site was that the gardai were trying to close it but couldn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

It's closed now anyway. :v: ........

kbannon wrote:
    My recollection of the speedtraps.ie.nu site was that the gardai were trying to close it but couldn't!

Well, to be perfectly honest with you, I could have dreamt it :o
    Monday morning and all that.... ;)

Advertisement