Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who should TNA pursue?

• 02-11-2005 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

This is from PWTorch.com:

"According to those close to the situation, Spike TV has asked TNA to secure deals to feature more high-profile pro wrestling names on the weekly Impact episodes. The network believes that TNA’s only real chance at competing with WWE is to bring in the top former WCW and WWE names not currently signed to Vince McMahon's company."

As you know, Christian recenty got released and could very well wind up in TNA. I've posted a poll to ask you which free agent you think TNA should go for to really give the WWE a run for their money.

I think they should definitely go for Christian but I think the guy they should really go all out for is Chris Jericho. Jericho has everything and has been in the main event as well. Jericho v Jarrett for the NWA Title will definitely sell PPVs.

Who do you think TNA should go for?

Who should TNA pursue? 22 votes

Christian
    0%
    Chris Jericho
    45%
    Mossy MonkFozzycannonballkidpwwilliaandymanTerryTrampas:Keith:hassNailz 10 votes
    Bill Goldberg
    22%
    cruiserweightJuan PabloMr.Nice Guymoongooseb0bsquish 5 votes
    Brock Lesnar
    18%
    ChongDoctorEdgeWildZiprebelsbells2005 4 votes
    Sting
    9%
    Winning HandFirewalkwithme 2 votes
    Other
    4%
    dlofnep 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Chris Jericho
    The way I see it, the only guy there that they've got a hope of signing is Christian. Jericho gives the impression that if he does come back to wrestling, it will be with WWE. Goldberg and Sting don't seem to be interested in wrestling, and I'm not sure what the deal with Lesnar is, whether he's contracted or not, or if he's even legally allowed work for TNA

Christian would definately be my pick, although he doesn't carry that big a name value since he never got a proper main event push. He deserved it though. I think that for TNA to really make an impact, they should sign someone currently in WWE. A lot of guys don't seem to be too happy there, and if they decided to take the risk of going to TNA, it could really get things going

Even then though, TNA have signed the Dudleys and Rhino, and they haven't done too well with them.. Giving Rhino the title was a better decision than having Jarrett holding it..but giving it back to Jarrett is unforgivable, especially in the circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Brock Lesnar
    Goldberg is the biggest draw on that list. He is also not associated entirely with WWE and wouldn't be seen as a WWE cast off in the way that Christian or Brock might (despite the facts!). However, the chances are slim to say the least, Goldberg has stated it himself that it would take a whole truck fulll of money to get him back in the ring regularly.

Charlie Haas would be a great signing for TNA, they'd get him cheap enough and he is a huge talent. Could be pushed to main event status easily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bill Goldberg
    Apparently Christian can't use the ring name Christian now as the WWE own the rights to it so he may revert to his real name, Jay Reso. That may or may not hurt him. Personally I think he should call himself something like Mr Charisma to play off his 'Captain Charisma' nickname though I don't know if he'd be allowed to or not?

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the WWE don't own the rights to the name Chris Jericho. Anyone know the situation with Jericho's ring name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Jericho is a good choice but as is already said it doesnt look like he'll be wrestling for a while. Christian seems most likely as he already lives near where TNA are located. If they got Brock though it would be a big kick for WWE. A nice list of choices. It's hard to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bill Goldberg
    Paul Heyman's contract has almost expired. He's been getting rave reviews for the work he's been doing down at OVW but his future is far from secure.

If he went to TNA it would be a bigger coup than any of the stars mentioned I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Heyman
    Haas
    Christian
    Jackie Gayda
    Daniel Puder - he's fresh but he had potential, could play him a the man who was robbed against a gold medalist :P
    More to follow in coming months no doubt.
    (thankfully they signed Rhyno/Rhino)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I thought Gayda already signed?

maybe i'm stuck in a bubble for the last couple of months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I think they made a mistake putting the belt on rhyno though, totally devalued it in my eyes. Rhyno was never near the top tier in wwe, and the only way to give the belt value while he has it, is to have him hold it for an extended period of time JBL style.

I'd say Christian of the above choices would be the best to go fo, and if rhyno can win it, I don't see why anybody from the wwe midcard couldn't walk in and win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Chris Jericho
    Just read that TNA signed Jackie Gayda, hopefully this will lead to Haas signing too. I'd put his potential up there with Christian's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Other
    I don't think Christian wants to wrestle right now. He's looking for other options and judging by his personality and on screen ability, eh could infact be a successful actor. If I were him, I would go for it. He's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Chris Jericho
    Brock Lesner is already wrestling in Japan and is a champion so that rules him out for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Chris Jericho
    andyman wrote:
    Brock Lesner is already wrestling in Japan and is a champion so that rules him out for the time being.

I wouldn't say that rules him out. Its more the fact that he's not meant to work again from an American based wrestling company until 2010 due to the contract he signed before he left the WWE.

Cactus Col wrote:
    I think they made a mistake putting the belt on rhyno though, totally devalued it in my eyes. Rhyno was never near the top tier in wwe, and the only way to give the belt value while he has it, is to have him hold it for an extended period of time JBL style.

He wasn't top tier in WWe but he was in ECW and was a very successful champ at that. Since they toned him down in WWe he never had the potential he showed in ECW, hopefully TNA will re-launch this back in him. TBH he wasnt the same wrestler since he broke his neck and never got his oppertunity (either through the difficulty in breaking through the ranks) or just not being good enough. I think they could do so much with him and he deserves his role as champ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Chris Jericho
    christian. completely misused in the wwf.

from a recent interview with Jeff jarrett:
    Are you negotiating with Chris Jericho, Brock Lesnar, Sting or any other big name free agents?

To my knowledge Jericho is not available.

But if we are having negotiations with stars it's in our best interests to keep them under wraps.

We've seen first hand the casualties of word getting out and the monopolistic ways of WWE.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2003560001-2005460041,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Double J has a great chance of taking it to the WWE , and if Vince had any sense he would secretly let him go about his business.

At the end of the day WWE is a far cry from the beast who won our hearts during the Monday Night Wars , it needs competition to stay fresh, or it will be dead within 5 years.

Double J is hugely respected by everyone in the business, and people WILL go to his brand for a little less money if it means they are treated better than they are in WWE. Very few people get a huge ammount of respect back stage in WWE anymore.

As for who they should go after , Goldberg is too expensive right now, Lesnar cannot legally wrestle in the states as far as i am aware ( as part of leaving WWE mid contract he foolishly agreed to this stipulation ! ).

Advertisement