Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeze 1mb not actually 1mb

• 02-11-2005 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

i was wondering if anyone with breeze 1mb lite is not actually getting 1mb. I done a speed test and i've always been getting between 100kbps and 500kbps. Is it just my signal or has anyone else expierenced this problem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

You will NEVER get a 1MB speeds on a 1MB line. With IBB your connection is running on 24:1 contended ratio. With means that for the 1MB line your connected to there is 23 people sharing with you (so 24 including yourself). If all 24 people on your line were to go online at the same time a start a big download your connection will (in theory) drop to around a 41kb connection.

To run a speed test leave it till early in the morning (before 8.30am) or late at night (after 11.30pm) this way you can get a more accurate speed test as less people will be online.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am getting 1.92mbps on a 2mbps NTL line...quite happy with that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yeah the 1Mb they quote is normally the signalling rate , not the data rate. it includes packet headers, checksums , handshaking , acks and other overheads. Windows also has over heads and the QoS and automatic updates can reserve up to 20% of bandwidth "just in case".

If it makes you feel any better the old 10Mb cable used only have a transfer rate of 300KB in windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I used to get 72kbps on a 56k modem on PTSN (with compression and being 150m from Merrion Exchange :D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

no connections reach their full limit, i had bt 2mb and max i got was 1.76mb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Sparky_S wrote:
    no connections reach their full limit, i had bt 2mb and max i got was 1.76mb

Agreed, but 2.96 on my 3mbit NTL is close enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Agreed, but 2.96 on my 3mbit NTL is close enough

Cable is a lot different to DSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

WellyJ wrote:
    Cable is a lot different to DSL

How so in terms of contention? After all Cable has contention from your house. DSL only gets contention from the exchange on. Both get contended. Cable is able to support higher speeds but that doesn't mean we get them.

That said, when I do a speed test on ntl or with eircom dsl at work, I get speeds rated near the broadband limit almost every time. It appears that opinion is that IBB is the opposite.

Advertisement