Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Create the Irish Mapping Community?

• 23-09-2001 1:18pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys, it's just a simple idea - Basically Drake and a few other people took the time to try create the "Irish Mappers" scene, but it flumped because of lack of interest.... That doesn't mean the interest isn't out there, just means most people have other things to do... But lately there's been quite a lot of custom maps being thrown at us from various community members, and it would be good if we all pitched in together and created a site or something, so that at the end of the day the maps get submitted to it for download, and we can help other mappers in their projects etc.

If anyone is interested, contact me at RopeDrink@another.com , or simply pop into the #var channel in IRC (irc.barrysworld.com) and give me a PM!

It would be a good idea, and may raise the interest in map making - Heck, we could even run competitions etc... What is your view?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

yeh! competitons!

winning map gets on the VAR server for a week :D or smthin

I could get together a texture set, and the ppl who enter have to just use those to make a map!

best one wins¬! obviously :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I'd be interested in this, and willing to create/maintain a site, probably can host it too. Oh and run a halflife server there too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Ya heard me. Ill contribute in any way I can. :)

What exactly are we looking for? Other than mappers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

that sounds like a good idea count me in

TEXTURE ARTISTS!

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Well - Basically it's a community... We don't "Require" anything much, just a good site, some nice handy links, downloadables (Like new maps which we'd pimp ON the site), texture .wad's maybe (Again, normal or custom) and anything else we can muster up...

What we want is to make something catchy, so that even a non-mapper would give the site a look, and maybe draw them over to the darkside and get them hooked into making custom maps etc :D

Also, if all goes well we could get our own forums, competitions, and if the interest is high, even run a little "Map Testers" thingy we're we can agree with other mapping communities to test eachothers maps out on servers, or just simply organise a map test once a week for maps we have created, or ones off the CS-Mapping forums etc...

Not only does it raise interest in mapping, it'll raise interest in CS / HL / DOD / TFC itself, with the ability to distribute and test custom maps and try get the really good ones onto map rotations on public servers... Another idea is to open something on the site where we can review maps etc....

It would kick quite a lot of buttock if we can get the whole shebang going! Any other thoughts?

i like the idea of kicking buttock :):):):):):):)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Well we can kick as much buttock as you like, so long as it isn't people who browse our site (If we get one going) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Count me in, ive made a few tfc maps, and currently working on another from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Count me in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

me me me

/me counts ppl in :)

right we need to ask ourselves..

who DOESN'T suck at webdesign? if the answer is "me!" whip up a test design :)

who IS willing to put in work daily / whenever to update the site. If the answer is "me!" let me know :) reply to this post saying what you can do

does anyone know how to:

a)make a 1337 site
    b)update the 1337 site
    c)make a 1337 or non 1337 map
    d)make 1337 textures or non 1337 texures
    e)help :D

-DrakE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I can map... But when it comes to textures, I haven't got a clue. Count me in, and just mail me when you need me... I'll idle in #irishmappers too...

-Dark-DogLoving-Angel-

They say he sleeps with the fishes-- er, dogs.

We don't want a site looking l337 until we decide what goes on it - can't have a good looking test page with no real idea what the hell we WANT in this site...

So far I suggested that this mapping scene be open to CS / HL / TFC / DOD mapping, + others like Unreal / Kingpin and the likes as an after dinner mint...

Also, we want good links now, informative mapping help links, and forum links... We want quite a lot of things on this site to maintain a stable interest in mapping... Once we decide what we want, we'll get to work on a proper page - Start suggesting guys :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

The 1337 website i can make, 1337 map i can map, textures i can't make, help i can give? so there.

We don't need to have non-hl games sections yet, as ppl only use WC for the time being :(

I suggest the following sections.

Tips. Have a random tips thing on each page, that suggest small tips like r_speeds lowerage/texture applications etc..

like on www.vlatitude.com

Prefabs? Maybe people who can't finish off full maps could make useful prefabs? ones that don't already coe with wC :)

Links to here :)

Links to good tutorial sites

i can put together a few wads from textures in the public domain [free ones :) ]

Open Source Mapping section - what an idea :)

I'll release some of my unfinished and basically never gonna be finished maps for people to look at/finish off/learn from. This will be a great way for people to see how things were done, how brushes were made etc.

I'm of course open for more ocmments! What do the new to mapping people want to see on the site that'd be helpful???

-DRakE

Sounds great!
    Before we delve into the big bad world of mapping and a mapping community we have to bounce our idea's off eachother - So I want all of you to suggest things here, or in #irishmappers... It's not a community unless you all contribute :D

i've said my part, at least til i think of something else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

Here i wont add much as ye all know a hell of a lot more about this than me but it might be nice if lets say DraKe an Rope and who ever else is good at mapping do a little walk through for newbies. Not a half assed copied one but an original one. it would be slick. and handy to have to refer to if anyone was stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

b)
    c)
    e)

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

I'd be interested in helping. Have Photoshop 6, Digital Camera and a lot of patience. Know nothing about HL editing but I'm willing to try.

Nice link I found http://www.karljones.com/halflife/textures.asp

Originally posted by Q_Ball
    b)
    c)
    e)

:)

W)
    T)
    F)

? I don't understand :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

i can map and do html....

i am willing to update the site / review maps

i have fiddled with textures for q3 a bit.... ihave imported some pictures into maps as novelties (posters / graffitti etc.. ) but have never made any real textures

Class DBC, I just had a thought - If we all pitched in we could work on our own HL MOD!

It's actually not too hard - Maps / Textures / Skins / Modelling and a little enemy code (If you want to use something different from the HL AI) and we could have our very own BOARDS.IE COMPUATAR GAEM!!!!!

Just an idea - Once the scene picks up I may plan a mod myself - I was already helping with one before - A sort of Navy Seals Varient Of CS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Getting interesting, this is.

I was mad into mapping a few months ago, got bored with it, now I'm mad into it again :) Made a little cs map of my room, inspired by the cs_mice_final and de_rats maps... CTs spawn under my bed, Ts spawn in the attic, objective is destroy my system unit. :)

For the site, how popular would you say it will be? I can probably give it some good hosting... supports PHP, has a PostgreSQL database, and is on a connection faster than my LAN! :)

I'm more than willing to create the site, including all the dynamic content stuff, the news articles and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

If were going to make a mod we need the Hl SDK and the only thing i've ever done is add more ammo and the like. Also the code is **** hard to understand..

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Good idea...

Yeah - But still, we won't get anywhere unless we give it a bloody good go... And considering the ammount of people interested in the community we could all test it - Someone's bound to get used to the coding etc :D

Im still spewing out the maps - De_Tinban = 80% complete... Retexturing de_gravel and re-releasing once I add a few more routes, de_desolate is on the way, looking basic, but nice - Only map so far with very good r_speeds :D

Also, im going to make a map of the VAR COMPLEX (From my novel) once I get my computer back...

Don't stop posting now, guys, it's heating up...

wtf?

desolate?

i recall raven makin a map with that name....and me too as i also recall :)

0wn3d :D

• Advertisement

Sad to inform you that names can't be taken unless stuck to a finished map - If get mine finished and you guys don't, then the name is mine :D

Thats the way it goes everywhere... If you want the name, finish your maps - Don't tell me it's taken when you haven't a finished map :D

If that was the case I could copyright a rake of names right now withot even having a map to name it after...

ie.

YUO CAENT NAEM YUOR MAEP "VAER" COEZ I WEANT TOE MAEK A MAP CAELLED TAHT, ANED YUO CAENT NAEM IT "DE_UNGABUNGA" COZ I WAENT THAET NAEM TOO!

Seriously, de_desolate suits my map to the ground - It is, basically, desolate - A sort of grimy looking village - Lots of alleys, lots of stairwells, lots of low r_speeds :D

Advertisement