Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Google to fine forum pages.

Options
  • 02-11-2005 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

I am using SMF bulletinn Boards but the posts never show in google searches.Is there something that needs to be placed in the meta tags for google to index these pages?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You could Sitemap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Firstly have you submitted it to google?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Gordon wrote:
    Firstly have you submitted it to google?
    You shouldn't have to

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Michele - do you mean that there should be sufficient links to your site from elsewhere?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I've submitted the site...Google finds the site no problem..But the contents of the forums don't show up in any search.. For eg if I search google with BELLER B I will get a load of Boards.ie pages...
    I'll give the sitemaps a go. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

From the Google Webmaster Guidelines:
    Allow search bots to crawl your sites without session IDs or arguments that track their path through the site. These techniques are useful for tracking individual user behavior, but the access pattern of bots is entirely different. Using these techniques may result in incomplete indexing of your site, as bots may not be able to eliminate URLs that look different but actually point to the same page.

I would imagine that the session ids in your URLs is causing the pages not to be indexed.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

Yes it's your session IDs that are causing the indexing problems. Google see that you have only one file "index.php" so you will need to look in using mod_rewrite to rewrite your dynamic urls into more static, distinct urls.

Example:

index.php?PHPSESSID=0f7bd431f7cd452c7c2d959e39de0e18&topic=25.0

into something like

topic25.html

blacknight wrote:
    You shouldn't have to
    If you have no sites linking to you then Google wouldn't pick you up right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Example of url rewriting (from http://www.staff.ie, the company I work for) -

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule jobs\.html jobseekers_search_results.php?stype=m

This should be in your .htaccess file in the forum root.

As you can see, we are turning the rewrite engine on, and then we are turning http://www.staff.ie/jobseekers_search_results.php?stype=m into http://www.staff.ie/jobs.html. If you go to both URLs are will see it is the same content.

http://www.staff.ie/jobs.html is SEO in two instances -

1. Google can read it properly (Google does not like ?stype=m)
    2. We now have the keyword "jobs" in the URL. I could easily make this even more SEO friendly by calling it something like "irish-jobs-ireland" or similar.

See what I mean?

Go to http://forums.seochat.com for more info.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote:

Yes. They need to find you somehow.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Gordon wrote:

Also the more sites you have linking to you, the better the Google rank [along with loads of other factors such as content, host location....]!

Depending on the software you are using for your forum you should be able to hack it to be more search engine friendly - mod_rewrite alone is not enough

kbannon wrote:
    Also the more sites you have linking to you, the better the Google rank [along with loads of other factors such as content, host location....]!
    Quality is more important than quantity ...

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

dublindude wrote:
    Example of url rewriting (from http://www.staff.ie, the company I work for) -

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule jobs\.html jobseekers_search_results.php?stype=m

This should be in your .htaccess file in the forum root.

As you can see, we are turning the rewrite engine on, and then we are turning http://www.staff.ie/jobseekers_search_results.php?stype=m into http://www.staff.ie/jobs.html. If you go to both URLs are will see it is the same content.

http://www.staff.ie/jobs.html is SEO in two instances -

1. Google can read it properly (Google does not like ?stype=m)
    2. We now have the keyword "jobs" in the URL. I could easily make this even more SEO friendly by calling it something like "irish-jobs-ireland" or similar.

See what I mean?

Go to http://forums.seochat.com for more info.

Am i correct in saying that you now have two pages with the exact same continent - google doesnt like duplicate continent and can punish your rankings for this

Google is less likely to index the URI with queries etc., than it is the "static" pages, so they're not going to suffer from duplicate content

Google likes:

- Unique well written content (not overly optimized e.g. repeated keywords)
    - Lots and lots (and lots) of quality one-way inbound links. Reciprocal links look to be devalued somewhat.
    - Varying text in the inbound links e.g. hundreds of links with the same text 'blue widgets' is going to look fishy to Google, variations like 'view information about blue widgets' and 'For blue widgets click here' are what to strive for.
    - Natural use of the title tag and header tags, not stuffed with keywords, make it look natural.
    - Validated HTML
    - Static URLs
    - An easily indexable site. Avoid 'clever' Javascript and Flash navigation system, use standard text links with CSS for style instead. If you have a large site implement Google Sitemaps to allow Google to find all of your pages.
    - Use robots.txt, meta tags "noindex, nofollow" and the rel="nofollow" href attribute to guide the Google spider through your site.
    - Get links from major directories like Yahoo, DMOZ, Zeal, Joeant, Gimpsy etc..

I have written some SEO articles here that should help you further.

Am i correct in saying that you now have two pages with the exact same continent - google doesnt like duplicate continent and can punish your rankings for this

No, you're incorrect. As far as Google/your browser are aware, only jobs.html exist.

Loads to think about there... Thanks a million lads..

Just tried a few other search engines..
    Yahoo MSN & alavista all find the page contents...Could this be google just being slower than the others?
    Anyway I've made a few changes & resubmitted to google. We'll see how that goes. Thanks for all the suggestions..

• Advertisement

Yeah, I got that too with a few sites beller, mind you it can turn up on Google within a day, it just depends on when they do their indexing afaik.

Thanks Gordon.I'll give it a while & see what happens. If the other engines are seeing it I can't be doing too much wrong!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

beller b, you should take the PHP session (PHPSESSID=0f7bd431f7cd452c7c2d959e39de0e18&) out of the link to your forums in your sig. It could lead to someone stealing someone else's session by mistake.

adam

Thanks for all the help lads. I've done the sitemap & submitted it to Google. It is showing the last upload etc & no errors.But still no other pages being indexed. What confuses me is that Googles robots are crawling the boards constantly.So if they are finding the pages why are they not being indexed.Also MSN is indexing everything fine. What methods do MSN use that would be different to googles?
    Any help would be appriciated. Thanks again.

Just an update on this..I got freefind.com to index my site & all my forun/boards pages show up as discarded (off site) There are links from the boards back to site pages .Why should it see these as off site?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i have always found that my sites are ranked higher in msn, yahoo, alta vista and many others than google. at times the gap between the rankings are huge.

is this an indication as to which engine is better?!

is this an indication as to which engine is better?!
    No. It's totally meaningless
    Ranked better? For what?

Just to let you guys know.Google has started indexing my forum pages from today..Is it that Google is just slower than the others or Just more fussy..
    A added more hidden links bact to my main page from the forums, that seemed to help..

Eeek hidden links! You mean links that are invisible? I would get rid of them, Google delves penalties out for them.

• Advertisement

Eeek hidden links! You mean links that are invisible? I would get rid of them, Google delves penalties out for them.

When it finds them ....

A lot of blackhat SEO does actually seem to work.

One of our competitors was using keyword stuffing, multiple gateway sites and a whole load of other techniques and was doing really well for well over a year. Google seems to have started penalising *some* of their sites now, but their primary site seems to have been unaffected
    *sigh*

Advertisement