Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At a tangent, Esat/Sky

Options
  • 23-09-2001 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

There are strange signs of Esat in the Sky... (FRIGHTFUL pun).

Why were Esat and Sky doing a joint promotion outside Tesco in Naas 2 weeks ago? (As in, first heavily populated area after NTL).

This was conducted by a nasty waspish middled aged man who had the GALL to IRL flame me when I said if there was no ADSL news not to try and sell me a THING after the Nolimits fiasco.

(Apparently the entire music industry was abusing the priviledge, as I am all over MP3.com et al this was NOT a clever thing to say to me. he REALLY got personal, I didn't).

I now note Sky are promoting their satellite minidish on TV3 with NO MENTION of and URL (ODD??)

On their main site Sky have tiny link to "free ISP" in UK...also a WAP service...

In UK it would seem their inevitable next move is Satellite Internet...

So WHY are they all snuggly with Esat?

(Who, in spite of their sins must realise by now that they might as well scrath Lotto Cards to show a profit as wait for ANY kind of realistic flat rate anything from Eircom).

ODD.

Concepts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

512/64 two way satellite costs around £125/month (judging by the prices on one the websites), and that is for geostationary ones. No cap on that either, obviously (as it is the real world, and not Eircomland)

The LEO (low-earth orbit) ones have been talked about off an on for a few years, and I read last year sometime that Sky were indeed planning satellite internet access in the future. The only release I could see was the Microsoft one in the US for 2005 or thereabouts.

The LEO ones are cool because they have pings of around 20ms, which makes them fine for online gaming. Maybe ESAT are in bed with Sky to provide some sort of even one-way service? If ESAT could get funding from the likes of Sky to get some local loop action it could be easily done.

Sky movie pretty sharpish on things too....isn't the new digital-recorder for their satellite service out this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Doesn't LEO sattelite net access mean you need a blanket of sattelites so that theres always one in range? I can't see sky making a move like that. As far as net access over their current sattelites i cant see that happening either as they pretty much have all the transponders on astra 2e used up for tv(?) unless they could use the old analogue sattelites for it... but im just speculating (yes, im an armchair expert :))

all the digiboxes have modems.. id say esat might be of use for uploads and stuff through that.

interesting about the promotion dude getting personal. reminds me of the first letter they sent. hmm what could he have been thinking?

Advertisement