Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy prebuilt htpc

Options
  • 03-11-2005 4:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend where I can buy a prebuilt htpc. Perferably in Ireland, UK ok too tho.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I could build you one running mythtv for the right money. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Thank you for the offer but I'd like one running MCE2005, from a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

what is htpc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

htpc: home theater personal computer

Which is considered better lads?

Media Centre or HTPC or mythtv

Is the cheaper option just to install Media Centre on the existing PC and go from there?

Mr. Flibble: Soz, don't know of anywhere doing MCE ones off the shelf.

Maxwell: Myth is (IMO) the best HTPC software out there. Absolute winner. MCE V's Myth is more about a software choice than anything else. With myth you avoid the licencing costs of MCE (i.e. the OS and associated software are all free).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

@khannie, what distro are you running MythTV on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Thanks Khannie,

Is it just a case of going here and downloading the software?

http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

Sorry for the OT Mr. Flibble.

[WARNING: OFF TOPIC]
    Souper: Mine's on an ubuntu box. I'm currently DSL-less (after moving house) so it's incomplete pending some downloads. If you're considering going the myth route, check out this ULTIMATE howto. :) It is for fedora. The greatest issues to be overcome are: tv out (I'd advise using nvidia if possible), xmltv (use the alternate version of the UK listings) and getting my PVR-350 working fully (newer drivers are much more stable).

Edit: Maxwell....eh....sort of. You need linux installed. You should check out that howto I linked to. It's a great step by step guide if you're new(ish) to linux. You can download fedora core 4 installation dvd / cd's from ftp.esat.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

If you have deep pockets i think HushPC make the best HTPC's... Silent and they look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

• Advertisement

Thanks dalk & JPA, thats what I was looking for. I'm a little confused though; komplett have a choice of graphics and tuner cards for the HTPC, but none of them are mentioned as compatible with Windows Media Center Edition 2005 here.
    Whats the deal there? Will they work? Would komplett sell a computer bundled with MCE with incompatible hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

feck, I binned my FC4 disks as I thought it was a disapointing distro. Must give ubuntu a go.

Are there any guides to streamline the OS so that you can have a super-fast boot?

on the hush, I bought two for a client and was not impressed. Over-designed IMO. They go to a lot of trouble with heatpipes and anodised aluminum and then manage to take the quietest HD on the market sound like its connected to a megaphone.

I was really dissapointed, the plate that the HD is mounted to really amplifys the HD seek & spindle noise, I can hear it over the noise of my projector! Its REALLY bad.

Another client has seen the Hush and insists he must have it, so hopefully Hush have this issue sorted.

Fujitsu Siemens have a Shuttle-Like MCE PC, not sure where you can get it in retail but overall it was a well thought-out unit. Only fault I could find was that the MPEG2 encoding on the capture card showed more arifacts than some of the hauppage cards I have used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Thanks dalk & JPA, thats what I was looking for. I'm a little confused though; komplett have a choice of graphics and tuner cards for the HTPC, but none of them are mentioned as compatible with Windows Media Center Edition 2005 here.
    Whats the deal there? Will they work? Would komplett sell a computer bundled with MCE with incompatible hardware?
    All 4 tv cards are listed as compliant think your list is imcomplete/outdated

Thanks. I managed to find a very outdated list - even tho it was still on Microsoft's web site.

Advertisement