Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with used cat litter?

Options
  • 03-11-2005 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

OK i recycle over 90% of my waste, probably more.
    Today is the first time i have put the black bin out since i got it maybe 2 months ago, at the very least a month and a half. And since i got cats. I would say most of whats in it is cat litter. I did not think i could put it into a recycling bin.

Anyway the weight of the thing was umbelievable... heaviest wheelie bin i ever moved. I guess its all the cat litter. So hopefully it will be gone when i get back and not left there for being too heavy or even worse.. bin went in truck :D

What can i do about it? What do people do about their old litter?? AFAIK you cant just stick it in your garden.
    By the way i use the 10kg bags for €2,99 from Aldi if it helps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I use this wood pellet litter that atlantic homecare in liffey valley do, but only comes in huge bags. Lasts forever an cuts down on smell big time. kitties love it as it dosent seem to stick to paws much ;0)
    anyways is completely conpostable and apparently even *flushable* as once "wet" its no longer pellets.

b

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

sweet how much is that? I have seen it i think.. is that the one thats about €13?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I saw a new litter called "Worlds Best" last week - it's corn based I think & is flushable & compostable. It's similar to the clay based litters so I can use it with my fussy cats.

I've been told it lasts much longer than other litters by cat breeders too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

when you guys say its lasts longer - how long do you mean?? I have a wooden floor where my cats box is and he tramples the litter out onto the floor!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

The worlds best says that a 3kg bag will last one cat for 30 days.

Back in the days when I just had 2 cats I remember a large bag of woody cat litter was lasting approx 8 -9 weeks.

tk123 - get one of the deep covered cat litter trays. It'll cut down on the amount of cat litter spread over your floors. My pet shop got some in recently - the cat has to almost climb out of them & leaves 99.9% of the litter inside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

I just wanted to say seeing someone called Saruman ask "what to do with used cat litter?" made me smile! :) Mental images of Saruman tipping the tray of litter off the balcony of Orthanc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

lol mabey peter jackson will slip that into the 25th anniversary addition

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.co.uk/

This stuff sounds brilliant, anyone know if it's available here yet?

Just found the answer

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.co.uk/retailer_southern_ireland.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

mwuhahahha well i suppose i can always feed it to my orcs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

actually i do have 1 use for used litter - we sprinkle it in our garden sometimes to keep other cats away+stop them digging the place up/peeing on my motorbike! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement