Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Transfer Ireland/U.S

Options
  • 03-11-2005 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Does anyone know the best way to transfer funds between the U.S and Ireland and vica versa. Western Union seems expensive but it looks like I could do it through pay pal .

Does anyone know whether it can be done through Online banking with AIB or BOI ?

Thanks - any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭braceface

hi, sorry just saw this post. When I lived in America I was able to wire money from my American account to my Irish account (and vice versa) using the swift codes. I was charged 33 dollars per transaction, so I had to make sure it was worth my while. Other than that, it can be tricky and expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

ive found paypal to be the most economical way. I have to pay loans and stuff there monthly.

You can wire it, but as someone has said, it willl cost you 30 bills and sometimes the bank FCUK it up.

Although paypal charge a fee on monies recieved (approx 5%) it can work out better for smaller transactions. Usually takes no longer than three days for the funds to appear in a US account.

Another option, is to setup an account with www.xe.com You get pretty much the best rates going, but of course you will have to wait a bit longer for the funds to arrive in the US.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Shep Smythe

ive found paypal to be the most economical way. I have to pay loans and stuff there monthly.

You can wire it, but as someone has said, it willl cost you 30 bills and sometimes the bank FCUK it up.

Although paypal charge a fee on monies recieved (approx 5%) it can work out better for smaller transactions. Usually takes no longer than three days for the funds to appear in a US account.

Another option, is to setup an account with www.xe.com You get pretty much the best rates going, but of course you will have to wait a bit longer for the funds to arrive in the US.

HTH

The xe things is easy. But a pain to set up.

Some burd from the States has to ring ya.

Anal.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I have wired money from US back to Ireland easy enough but found it is a complete hassle to do it now that i am no longer in the US. In fact I have spent over 5 months trying to close my bank account in US and move the money back over here. Trouble is, because i am abroad, my account is deemed an overseas account and I cannot wire the money online to an overseas account, only within the US. Also because the address on my cheque book is my old US address but the address on my account is my irish address, I cannot write myself a cheque. I have been going round in circles for months with the US bank and still havent gotten a straight answer out of them as to how i can take the money out without going into them in person.....perhaps a job for my next trip over there.:rolleyes:

Advertisement