Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webcams?

• 03-11-2005 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi I am enquiring about something I know nothing about which is webcams, I have BT plus and I was wondering is the 128k upload enough to chat adequately to a mate in Madrid? Thinking of getting a camera in Argos, what spec camera should I be going for? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I have video calls all the time on one (via MSN Messenger 7.5) , to Spain and the UK.

128 upload is fine, but if you have any other software, say, p2p, you might find the video a bit choppy. Voice runs fine, even on dialup :)

Any Logitech camera is fine, around €30 ish. The model can depend on what monitor you have, as you normally place it on top. Is it a CRT or an LCD one, or do you have a laptop? It doesn't really matter, but some cameras are better suited to clip onto thinner (laptop / lcd) monitors.

You can get ones with a microphone built into it, in case you don't already have one. Also, you might be better off using headphones, so there's no feedback loop created between your speakers and mic.

Edit: This is the one I use...cheap n cheerful:

http://cowboyfrank.net/webcams/Creative/NX/Description.htm

I bought it in Spain, but I saw it in Harvey Norman's for the same(ish) price...€30 or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

i don't really know much about it but the other day my friend tried to use a video conversation with his new webcam on me. It was fine with voice alone and video alone but when both were put together it struggled slightly, couldn't really make out voice. I assume his upload was 128 but i dont know about what he might have been downloading at the same time so mayb that would explain it. Anyway just thought id add it in and someone can correct me if it should have been ok, good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

128 should be just fine.

Advertisement